Am I along in thinking a trailer would be cool?

I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to solve problems that are really specific to my use cases. To make this a GFC topic, I think a trailer offering would be cool. Something similar to the 8’ Ford SuperDuty camper but on a GFC built utility trailer would be epic. It could sleep at least 4, haul gear (especially if the lower bed was foldable or elevated), and be useful outside of camping.

I have a Subaru Outback so light weight is a priority. I use the roof for bikes and a cargo box so having a trailer makes more sense for me than a RTT. It also provides the ability to leave a trailer at camp.

Am I alone in my thoughts here? Think Sylvan Sport Go but cooler and better. :rofl:

Have you seen these?

I guess I’m not looking for any trailer, just dreaming up what a trailer would be like from the minds of GFC.

They’re so rad though!

Rustic Mountain Overland makes one

Goose Gear even makes an interior kit for them

RMO Link: Rustic Mountain Overland ANZAC GFC™ Moto Hauler Trailer – Rustic Mtn Overland

Goose Gear Interior Link: Goose Gear Rustic Mountain Overland

3 Likes

$35k if you include the gg interior is absolutely insane. There is literally nothing on that build justifying $20k over the price of the GFC. :joy:

1 Like

True. Super spendy but very cool. Thanks!

Honestly, I was initially inbetween a GFC and a trailer as well. For me GFC has been the correct choice. If one was to do a trailer, I would certainly go with a light hard side teardrop style. Safer, solid, easy to build / customize the kitchen. There’s kits, build plans, and off the shelf versions available. Solid walls are better IMHO when you’re that close to the ground. The tent portion of the GFC isn’t perfect, but its at least raised up 6 feet, light, and has a hard “roof”.

That’s my 2 cents…

Peace.

I have a dream of building this someday. Designed around an XL camper tent with the transform-a-floor. This would be perfect for me.

4 Likes

i thought about it but convinced myself not to go down that path lol

here’s my thought process based on my use:
I got GFC because it’s lightweight on the truck and strong, so I can go fast in the desert and down washboardy trails. I can’t really do that with a trailer… the going over terrain part is not a concern, but the going fast part and hitting whoops is.

Now, if I am getting a trailer, then that means I’m not going fast but do more overlanding. But, if I’m doing overlanding and not going fast, I want to be able to stand fully inside the “camper” and have everything enclosed inside the “camper” (bathroom, kitchen, sleeping area, etc) and be able to go from the cab to the “camper” without setting foot outside in inclement weathers.

That leaves me 4wd vans, or a 2WD Fuso and convert it to 4WD (converting it shouldn’t be too hard, according to the things I’ve seen, and I can probably do it as afterhours project at the shop). Either way, I can build it exactly the way I want, and despite the longer time it takes to complete, it will be something entirely for me.

XVenture by shutt industries are pretty cool especially if you added a GFC camper. Unfortunately the trailer is very pricey for being a pretty basic setup.