Amateur wiring question

Hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I have two Baja designs lamps (s2 sport) that I’ve mounted to the rear of my camper so that I can see while reversing at night.

The lights came with fairly big bulky wiring connectors as well as a set of connectors and wiring that allows you to plug each of the two lights into a single set of wires. I don’t like these bulky connectors and want to remove and replace with my own. The ones that I don’t like look sort of like this

Main question here is what is the best practice to take two positive wires and two ground wires from the lights and convert that to one positive wire and one ground wire to actually run to battery/ground (or relay as appropriate)?

Any info on wire gauges and preferences on connectors would be really helpful. Thanks in advance

So this is more of a personal preference than anything. But I have a tendency to steer away from using connectors to join wires. I’ll put small heat shrink on, then if the wires are to be grouped together, I’ll put a bigger heat shrink over the bundle. I will then solder the wires together. Then slide the single heat shrink over, heat it up, then slide the big one over the bundle and shrink it. If it’s going to be exposed to the elements, then make sure you get sealing heat shrink and split tubing.

As for gauge/draw/length there are tons of charts and calculators you can use. Such as the following:

As for connectors, for those I’ll solder them as well if possible. This eliminates the possibility of them pulling out of a ‘crimp’ connector. Also, heat shrink those to create strain relief.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!