Anyone added side windows/vents?

I would like some kind of small opening/closing vent.

The solar vent is helpful but it would be nice for more airflow.

Window with vent Is on my list of mods, I think I will wait to get the new hinges. I picked up last Thursday at GFC So didn’t get the new hinges on my build. After looking closely at the inside it looks like the window would have to be smaller than a traditional topper window to fit between the frame.

For now dogs are in the cab.

I too would love to have sliding windows with screens in the side panels! Both for panoramic views and for airflow. Maybe with the new hinges the extra weight of the window is ok? I’d be fine if the window didn’t line up with the frame tubing.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t need a ‘window’ Just a 5"x10" opening/closing/ vent would be fine. It needs to be water tight when closed.

1 Like

Would something like this serve the purpose and work in a side panel?

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Redline/9106.html

Peace.

2 Likes

Thinking something more low profile like below as what you linked would add a giant OML bump which I’d rather avoid.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000250800991.html

Or

https://www.e-rigging.com/Stainless-Steel-Round-Lockable-Vent-Plate-Style-1276

*edited to fix the mobile link and add an option.

Have any of the earlier posters here pursued any mods? I confirmed with GFC engineering that there isn’t a solution they’re offering to vent the camper with panels closed.

I like the idea of the butterfly vents earlier in the thread. I don’t have my camper yet but I’m trying to determine what my options are. Having my pups in the cab like GFC suggested would be my first choice but it’s not an option when traveling with my wife and two kids.

I really want the GFC to work out for me and my family but it’s an expensive purchase knowing it will require an additional mod. I’d feel better seeing a solution that works, so please show me your mods.

I’m also curious if anyone has tried installing a slider window on one of their side panels. I’d like to know if folks think the side panel would be solid enough to work with it. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Yes I’d love to see anyone’s mod as well. I plan to sleep the kids is the cab with the adults up top, I think they will need a window so it doesn’t feel so claustrophobic. I’m not always going to be in places that I’d feel comfortable leaving the panels up at night especially given how young my kids are.

1 Like

Today my welcome package shipped. I don’t have a mod figured out but I’ve decided to move forward with GFC and so we’re committed to attempting a mod that will vent the camper with panels closed, at some point.

I’ll know more when I get my camper but for starters I’m on the hunt for a remote temperature sensor that will allow me to monitor temp in the back when traveling. A slider window doesn’t seem very feasible based on the spacing and shape of the frame but we’ll see.

I might end up going with a couple of hatch covers for simplicity: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076T3L1FL/

Or an engine room air intake similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/attwood-1364A3-Unspecified-Boat-Vents-and-Deck-Plates/dp/B0000AZ81O/ref=asc_df_B0000AZ81O/

If anyone has other ideas or suggestions. I’m all ears.

1 Like

I would love to see someone put the windows from a camper shell in the side panels

2 Likes

I went this route so that I can keep track of the temp in the back.

From my initial few weeks with the camper I am finding that the camper itself, while driving, will maintain a temperature around 5 degrees above ambient. While this is not enough for full summer here in northern California it has been fine so far with spring daytime highs in the 70s/80s.

I will need to work something out for while stopped and may end up cutting in windows into my side panels. The tough part is finding a slider that will fit between the supports. Additionally trying to find something that will mount to the 1/8 thick panels. Most windows I am coming across are designed for 1" and thicker walls.

1 Like

Thanks for the link on the wireless thermometer.

I don’t have dimensions yet, since I don’t have the camper but for this window it says the frame can be reversed to mount o 1/8 thick panels.

Nice find! I can check dimensions when I get home. If i remember off the top of my head, that might just barely fit, however you would be running the window as low as you can go on your side panel. (I am a 3rd gen LB Tacoma).

@zwickt - heads up I have that same thing for my greenhouse and it is NOT good at pushing notifications of temp exceeding your thresholds. You basically have to check the app and refresh regularly if it’s for something important like dogs. It’s super irritating because they market it as notifying you instantly if it gets too hot, etc. definitely test it out before you rely on it.

1 Like

@TearingOut55 Thanks for the info. I never used the push notifications. Its a bummer that things can’t just work as advertised, eh?

I just had it open and checked it every 10 or so while I was driving. I now feel pretty confident in knowing what the temperature is going to be doing depending on my orientation to the sun and what temperature is being displayed out side.

So I ended up just making a template that was 21 1/4 x 16 3/4 to see how it would fit. The actual hole that will be cut is 20x15 and it’s super close. I might just order one to see how it looks and if it would go.

5 Likes

Awesome. I’m glad to see it’s that close. Good luck and keep me posted. I’m also in a 3rd gen LB Tacoma.

No idea, but I wanted to know the same thing. Keep us posted.

1 Like

I haven’t tried the window install yet. I just got my camper last week.

When I was scheduling my install I asked about the price of a new side panel for this purpose. I believe it was $600 per removable side panel. I could be mistaken because it’s been a couple months but at any rate, it is a part with a list price that was quoted to me. You should be able to email support to get a quote and verify the amount.

1 Like

So are you going to go for it? This is something I’m following closely but don’t know if I want to be the first! Will definitely need a solution for next summer.