Awnings! What are your thoughts?

In case Ten8 doesn’t get to you immediately -

Unfortunately, there was no way to mount the Racksbrax directly to the GFC utility tracks. The holes to attach the Racksbrax are too large for the GFC 1/4 20 bolt head, so you’d have to use a different bolt with a larger head and longer length to get it to work.

I ended up using the GFC Universal Mounts with the Racksbrax awning mounts shown below. You can see how large the Racksbrax mounting holes are on the left side.

3 Likes

Yeah, he was like that to me too. The awnings are just a small side gig for him from what I understand. I thought he was a bit of a T**t but he has a right to be if he wants. I’ve only had a couple email exchanges with him so YMMV.

1 Like

Has anyone tried or been able to mount an awning flush to the GFC extrusion without using brackets? I’m not a fan of the gap between the back plate of the awning and the GFC. I believe with the V1 the gap was required due to the strut being on the outside of the extrusion but don’t think there would be anything else in the way on the v2? I have a ROAM awning currently and picking up my GFC at the end of May so will try and figure something out when I have both in my possession but figured I’d ask here. I was able to accomplish this on my current custom Prinsu-style rack on my topper and love the tidy look, but was able to do so because I had access to the other side of the rack to bolt through. So I’m thinking I may have to drill through the back of the awning to feed a bolt through but that may interfere with closing it back up. I know it may be a long shot trying to do the same on the GFC.

1 Like

I’d recommend using the brackets or something similar. I’ve seen other vendors out there who sell similar brackets which could be used or modified to fit.

1 Like

Looking at getting an ARB touring awning or something similar. What do you guys think would be better for the RTT? 6.5 or 8 ft wide?

Hey All found some lash point or tie downs ,anchor items that work well with the track system.They are easy to take on and off and strong enough for many application though they are not steel.The company all USA Kayaks accessories made in the USA
Check out links.
Cheers!
Tom
https://www.yakattack.us/

14 Likes

@TPSJ Those look cool! Are they easy to pop on/off to use as-needed?

Yeah that’s the best part , I use them all around difference things awnings, my dog lead to a tree , even use them next to the beef bar on some items I put up there.
They petty strong think they would pull out of the track before they would break but like I said they not steel so I am not sure of the breaking point and there were no stats on the web site.

How does the T nut slip inside the extrusion? The normal T nuts twist in. Does this one slide in from the side or another way?

Well its a bit weird I do not slide it in from the side I can put it in horizontally frankly it was a test because the size was not in the specs so I bought one to see how or if it would fit.
It just slips in easily and when I tightened it down I thought it might be too loose and pull out , not the case it hold fast I put a ratchet strap on it and it held enough pressure that I backed off felt like if I did more it would pull out on damage the track.
I was satisfied that it would hold for my purpose and it has.

Yeah I’m also debating… I’m leaning towards the 8ft ARB or the Rhino Rack Batwing

Just finished installing the OVS Nomadic 270 LT on a Platform RTT. I used 4 GFC mounting brackets. Went with the OVS because of the price. Ordered it from the OVS website and it was delivered in less than a week. So far I am very pleased.

4 Likes

I ordered the Kinsman 270. Now begins the long wait to have it manufactured, but think it’ll be the best option for my build.

2 Likes

So I thought I would answer the question about the ARB awning room on the 6’ awning. It’s a cool unit, but if you have an xl (in this case on a RAM). There is no possible way to open the side panel inside awning room. It doesn’t not fit.

Cheers,

WG

Curious if anyone has made any 270 awning work with a vertical mount bike rack (ie Versi rack, north shore, Alta etc.) without having to take the rack off or put it on a swing.

Hi brand new here and have #3763 on order for July. Reading about the awnings I am leaning towards the alucab and wondered since it’s been several months if you figured out your solution or have the mount situation figured out for the GFC? The shop just closed for a week off and I’m impatient so thought I’d ask here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Kinsmen 270 is one beautiful piece of kit.

At 53 lbs., the Shadow is quite a bit lighter than the Kinsmen 270 and has a support leg integrated into one of the structural beams. Alucab has it figured out.

2 Likes

Here’s a thought: Stop paying more for the same awnings with different names. Flash sale this weekend. $100 off OVS awnings. https://www.northridge4x4.com/ovs-100-off

Not affiliated, just a satisfied customer of both OVS and Northridge.

4 Likes

I have the OVS 270LT for about 2 months and have been very happy with the quality and ease of use. I’ve had it up (with 2 supporting poles) in what I would guestimate as about 25mph gust and handled it like a champ.

I have it mounted with 3 GFC awning mounts.

8 Likes