Awnings! What are your thoughts?

Everyone may not need one, but have you seen anyone do pull ups on any other quick set up 270º awning without legs?

yes, but it depends on your priorities.

same with the Kinsmen

1 Like

After going back and forth on a 270 awning, just for the awning…I decided that I’lll prob go with a standard 8 foot ironman non 270…The main reason is that I have a short bed Tacoma, and room is tight inside, the key thing that the non 270 awning offers is the awning room, which really extends the camping experience for a SB tacoma.

Adding the xtra side wall, really adds more shade in beach areas as well. Awning Xtra (Suits 2.5M Awning)

All this to me is worth more than a 270, even with side walls. That awning room has a bathtub floor and would really help out in rainy days instead of being stuck inside the GFC.

The cost of a 270 + 3x GFC brackets + side walls + quick release brackets (I live in a city) is just too much for me.

1 Like

About 30 lbs. difference between Kinsmen (heavier) and Alu-Cab Shadow. The Alu-Cab appears to need a custom bracket for the rear corner pivot point.

which none exist unless you get a home made plan from someone on the forum and get someone to make one.

1 Like

I am going to look into this. I have a quality fabrication shop near me that can fab a suitable bracket in 12-gauge steel (same as GFC universal mounting bracket) with mounting holes that correspond to the universal mounting bracket hole locations. I can get it powder coated to match the UMB. They just need a shop drawing to work from and shop drawings are one of the things we do best.

You’re going to sell a good amount of these if you do…There has been a-lot of ask lately and the guy who has one is apparently in Nepal and have not uploaded his plans.

The difference between the shadow and kinsman aside from price - is availability. You can get a shadow fairly easily, so there is a market for this bracket.

1 Like

Has anyone made a spreadsheet comparing specs of all the options out there? If not, I may start one as I begin research.

Edit: this seems to be the best collection on awning info but not GFC specific:

This is great to know. I’m going to reach out to Alu-Cab to get the critical hole dimensions they don’t publish online.

1 Like

I would be interested. I really like their awning but that back bracket is too much of a project for me

1 Like

The fabricator is onboard…just waiting for hole position dimensions from Alu-Cab. Stay tuned.

1 Like

I’m planning on building both types of brackets, but it would be helpful to know which side most people are leaning toward for the Alu-Cab Shadow 270 awning.

• Driver side mount
  • Passenger side mount

0 voters

Here’s the first draft of the bracket design (passenger side version). Still waiting on some critical dimensions from GFC to finalize but this is close enough for fabricator quotes. First draft of the shop drawings are done. Note the slot on the rear side for a Shittco tent pole to pass through.

If using a tent pole with the awning deployed, a grommeted hole most likely will be needed in the awning fabric to allow the pole to pass through.

Here it is shown in the mounted position. I added an additional slot so that the second set of Shadow assembly bolts/nuts clear the new bracket. Will powder coat matte black to match UMB.

1 Like

Getting closer. Alu-Cab has been slow to respond, but I have two dealers working on it. The bracket will use the four mounting holes to the left on the pivot section and two of the bolts that hold the pivot section to the awning C-channel main body. I’m planning to include a slot for a Shittco tent pole to pass through…I have the Shittco block dimensions. A shim or bushing will be needed to span the gap between the C-channel and the pivot section.

These are the dimensions needed:

Well, we decided to extrapolate the dimensions needed based on the two dimensions provided by Alu-Cab and think we have it very close. Just waiting on some info from GFC.

3 Likes

This is epic! Looking forward to this!

1 Like

There’s a lot of discussion around the Kinsman, Alucab and OVS 270 awnings but has anyone tried the Roofnest Wing? There’s not much online about it aside from their website.

Quotes for laser cutting the steel pieces, folding, and welding are in. Waiting on powder coat quotes and after I receive will post prices to our website. I’ll need ten passenger side and five driver side orders to get this done. Stay tuned.

Pricing is done and on the website: Products - 4WD-Mod.com. If you are interested, send me a note using Get in touch - 4WD-Mod.com.

2 Likes

Also, just noticed that Alu-cab has more options now for awnings.

180 awning and a smaller and lighter 270 awning…which might be perfect for a SB tacoma build…

Only four on the list so far. Eleven to go before I can pull the trigger.