Bike mount ideas

I added a Thule Spare Me rack to my truck’s spare tire on my rear bumper swing arm. The rack is only 15lbs, and I like that it locks to the wheel, giving some theft protection for the rack and my spare tire. The rack also has a built in cable lock to secure the bike.

I add the orange tape to keep myself from walking into the rack’s arms, but you can reposition them down so they’re out of the way. I’m just lazy sometimes. I use the 2nd bike slot for the front wheel, so the bike stays out of the way on narrow Jeep trails. Retails for $430, but I got it on discount because someone had returned it. I also like it’s up higher so you don’t lose departure angle. Downside is carrying the bike by its frame, not good for high end bikes, but my bikes are all steel/aluminum frame.

I also have the option to put a bike inside with a fork mount, but it takes up a lot of space inside.

1 Like

Here are a few storage solutions. I ended up with three options depending on a few factors. I built a Rockymounts front axle mount that integrates into some L-Track. It can be set into various places around the truck.

Option 1 - Inside the truck on a welded platform.
Pros

• Most secure
  • Keeps the GFC open for more space
  • No dust or road grime on the bikes

Cons

• Have to remove both wheels with two bikes
  • Harder to take in and out.
  • Can’t use when we take the dog.
  • Brings dirt inside the truck

Option 2 - Inside the GFC. We only use this when travelling with the dog. Setup at camp we store the bikes outside.
Pros

• Only need to remove the front wheel
  • Somewhat secure
  • Keeps the truck open for more storage and the dog
  • Keeps the bikes clean and dry

Cons

Option 3 - 6-Place North Shore Rack. We use this for shuttles, storing the bikes when at camp and bringing friends along. We also uses this to hold the muddy bikes until a wash, then put them back inside.
Pros

• Holds six bikes
  • Can handle rough roads
  • Don’t have to remove the wheels
  • Keeps the dirty bikes out of the truck
  • Keeps the bikes out of the camper and truck

Cons

• Not too secure
  • Bikes get dusty and dirty
  • Need to swing it to access the GFC. A slight inconvenience.

(Crusier bikes for this trip)

3 Likes

love all the options you have. Makes sense that you just pick the best option based on what you’re doing, who’s tagging along, and what the weather is like.

If I have to add to any dimension of my vehicle, I’d rather make it longer than wider/taller, since that’s the least likely area to get damaged (by me, not the car behind me). And when there’s 10-12k worth of bikes in tow, that’s a big consideration lol. I use my Rocky Mounts Split Rail with a Yakima swing arm. Used to use a tailgate pad here and there, but not a fan of taking up the bed space.

1UP mounted to receiver welded to swing out

5 Likes

I’ve actually found my North Shore 4 bike rack works great when tilted down as a step to get in. Also it holds my water jug nicely and functions as a hangar. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Monstro44, Would you mind sending me a picture of how your bike is mounted to the Rocky Mountain Mount and Rago Accessory Mount from inside the bed? This looks like the perfect set up for me. Thanks in advance!!!

-NattoFace-

Hey there. I used a Rocky Mountain mounts locking axle mount but had to drill some holes in the back for it to match the height perfectly for what I needed. The RM axle mount also had to be spaced out about an inch from the Rago. I used some magnetic spacers i had in my garage. The Rago accessory mount goes bolted on direct to the t slot rail.

4 Likes

Thank you very much Monstro44!!! This is perfect. I appreciate you taking the time to share the additional pictures of your set up.

Was just at a gravel race where these guys were demonstrating/selling their solution. Picked one up for my truck. Pretty good so far but expensive side for sure.

2 Likes

This looks like a pretty sweet setup. Would you mind sharing photos of how it pairs with your gofast? Did you go for a hard mount system or the tailgate system? Thanks for sharing this here.

Don’t actually have my gofast yet, it will be here in about 2 weeks, but will share pics once it is all paired up!
I went with the tailgate system.

2 Likes

As Promised: Pics

So the unfortunate thing is that I have a 5’ bed so have to angle it more than I would like. Part of this is due to how far away the axle is put from the tailgate by the system, maybe 2-3". I am going to see if I can make some modifications that will let me have the bike on the passenger side and angle the back wheel to the behind the passenger wheel well instead of across the bed. Currently there’s not enough room to do that. I have the same issue with the rocky mounts mount system and at least the railias system has the fork mount way more accessible without crawling into the bed.

2 Likes