Black or Gray, Contrasting or not, Panels?

I’m having a silly but very tough time deciding on panel color for a summer install. My truck is Tacoma magnetic gray metallic.

I’m torn between contrasting BLACK panels and similar MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC panels.

Any words of wisdom, pros/cons, rationale behind your decision? Is the gray a good match or does it look like a new but slightly off color no compared to truck? TIA for indulging this request!

1 Like

Unless its a perfect match (which it won’t be with a GFC), black seems like the only way to go. Also ups resale value. I really can’t understand the rationale of choosing anything but black. Just my 2 cents

5 Likes

If you go to the build gallery on the go fast campers page, you can see what it looks like. The gray panels do not match, but they aren’t too far off. I chose the gray panels on my magnetic gray metallic tacoma and I like it. Was afraid black would retain more heat in summer also.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for this. Makes total sense to me. Surprising how many gray on gray instead of black on black I see in the build gallery. -Adam

Thanks, it has been surprising how few black on gray I find. Thanks for note on match feeling good and good point about heat.

I went with the magnetic gray. It’s not perfect but I’m happy I went with it over black.

7 Likes

Wow ! so nice <3

1 Like

If you plan to keep your truck get whatever color you want an know that long term the clear coat on the crappy Toyota paint will fail so if you color match now it won’t matter in 5-10 years. That said, my vote is black because even with the colored panels the extrusion on the top will be black.

1 Like

Hey what makes that a “Birder’s Edition” taco. Love birds! Thanks

Appreciate this and the truck looks great! I’ve opted for black for contrast, match to bars as you note, resale value.

Custom made! I’m an ornithologist and use this truck for work so figured that it’s appropriate!

1 Like

I have black panels and now I am looking for a wrap of some sort. They are extremely hot to the touch in the summer time

1 Like

Yeah, just go for black panels (resale value) and then vinyl wrap the panels in whatever color you want.

1 Like

I have the same color truck as you and went with the Gray panels, very happy with my choice. Looks good on the truck and absorbs less heat than Black.
My truck is 2013 and clear coat was looking bad so I had it painted before the install. If your truck is more than 7-8 years old, consider that also.

1 Like

Thank you. Appreciate that!