Blue Friday 2019 Tacoma, one solution to "The Problem"

I have known of Death Valley NP, Mt Whitney, Badwater 135, in theory for some time. I did not know the definition of an endorheic basin, which of course is what Badwater Basin is, or the prominence of the Sierras in relation to the Alabama Hills area. This was a trip to visit those places.

Again, the confluence of Super Bowl, WM Open and King of the Hammers makes for a particularly enticing weekend to camp. I feel I have raised up my daughters well when one of them asks “Hey Dad, wanna go camping over SB weekend?” - Ha! Is coffee the perfect morning activity?

She made the itinerary, and we decided to meet at the Eastern Sierra Visitor Center. We arrived from different routes (isn’t that what the offspring do?) within about 15 minutes of each other. Then I had a most delightful weekend comprised of campfires, conversations and coffee. As Justin Moore sings - Make a memory, not just money….time’s a ticking…Put a little slow in your roll, or you’re gonna miss it.

Here’s to not missing it.

10 Likes

You sound like a lucky dad, sir. Congrats! Great pics too.

2 Likes

A group chat comment about the seductive nature of campfires led to an invitation to run a trail, stare into a campfire and find some stars to sleep under.

The invitation started the incubation of Steinbeck’s “virus of restlessness” and soon yep, “a good and sufficient reason for going” emerged.

Since the days were relatively short mileage wise, we found a campsite mid-afternoon and started the campfire and dinner. Once the crackle of the fire starts conversation generally flows easily. Previously taken backpacks, truck mods, life plans, all the things that make sitting around a campfire worthy of repetition.

A quick weekend run, checking out a little railroad era history and a survey of Arizona flora over about 70 miles. One of the places we passed on the second day was Palace Station. According to the Prescott Western Heritage Foundation, the first automobiles traveled the Senator Highway in about 1910. The trail isn’t technical, OnX rates it 4/10 depending on run-off but with aired down tires, mild suspension mods and modern suspension geometry, I can’t imagine 1910’s automobiles using that “road”.

The plan was to end the route at Park Plaza Liquor, since they have truly amazing mac n cheese. Yes, the mac n cheese is worthy of a drive, especially the Hatch mac n cheese.

It’s just a reminder to keep making memories and keep staring into campfires.

5 Likes

Just a small build related update after a few days out using the equipment.

As I have mentioned, I have numerous Ryobi batteries, from before the days of “Tool Only”. In fact one Christmas I sent a photo of all the batteries I had to a friend and let him know I told my wife I needed an intervention - don’t let me purchase any more Ryobi batteries! Anyway, I had the Ryobi inflator and it worked so well, and yes, the great orange enabler (Home Depot) had a sale, and yes, we all know 1 is none and 2 is one - so for $19 I picked up another inflator. That led me down the path of….well, instead of getting out my compressor to air up - why not take along my two Ryobi inflators and use the batteries/charger unit to air up 2 tires at once? Why indeed.

TLDR - it worked swimmingly well for a stock tire size rig. Set the pressure, attach, walk away to set the next tire, go back get the one that has arrived at pressure and move to a new tire. You see the pattern.

My last post had the admonition to keep staring into campfires, we did, 3 nights in fact. It was glorious.

We did a couple of community meals, some beyond amazing tacos and a Dutch oven chicken tajine - even though I did substitute marinated artichoke hearts for the preserved lemons traditionally used. Trader Joe’s for the first time ever let me down - they were out of the preserved lemons.

If you need an excuse to get out more - please, tell your doctor to read this study!

Maybe I’m trying to channel my inner Tom Bodett and come up with a mantra to the effect of “keep staring into campfires”. If you’re younger than 50, do a search of Tom Bodett and Motel 6, and just listen to the soothing voice - you’ll be convinced. Oh and for those about to bring up the lawsuit, he started those commercials in 1986, back when I was wearing parachute pants and Motley Crue Theatre of Pain was in full swing.

2 Likes

Haha. Awesome update!

1 Like

I have a couple friends with the bougie Yeti GoBox 60. Yes, they are awesome, not saying anything different. However (haha - y’all know what’s coming) they are spendy. So I made up a marketing sales image. Perhaps I mis-appropriate how good a Banquet Beer is - still doing the the Plano. Enjoy - and I hope you get a smile.

4 Likes

I see I missed posting a trip here.

Overland Expo West (The OG) was a fun event - bluebird day, lotsa cool rigs, fun gadgets and all kinds of things to separate a guy and his money. Fortunately, the only money separated from me was the entrance fee.

Met up with some friends for a 3 day weekend in higher elevations since we have already had 111F in Phoenix. The forecast 79 high and 45 low in Flagstaff and the North Rim GC felt just about perfect for camping.

Last fall wrote about the forest negotiating for just a bit more time before being tucked into that winter sleep. Well, the aspens have that verdant green half size leaf going on right now, so it’s as if you wake up smelling the bacon sizzling and coffee brewing.

We (perhaps intentionally) stopped by Jacob Lake Inn, picked up some of the world’s best cookies and paired those with sunrise and coffee over that layer cake of The Big Ditch. Cookies sure do make a camping trip extra nice.

3 Likes

I haven’t yet figured out why I am so fascinated by 800 year old graffiti. Maybe it’s growing up with Raiders of the Lost Ark, or as Craig Childs says, being “obsessed with the oldness of things”. But, it’s there.

A friend mentioned southern UT as a destination, places I have seen online and never been, places I have been but new roads, and places I desired to go and see. Plus, we made some food plans, my interpretation of Chop Chop mustard curry and his Cuban Picadillo.

I was arriving late, and as I was navigating some narrow roads after dark, I messaged and asked if I should just find a spot and meet in the morning. Oh no he messaged back, it’s easy roads and I’ll have the Beacon of Gondor lit! I had a good laugh and continued on. When I arrived, the Beacon was indeed lit - we chatted until late and the beacon was long since coals.

Morning coffee looked out over the horizon which was all but invisible the night before. Slow morning and then into Canyonlands, to check out some of the pictographs and construction that make the area worthy of national parks and monuments.

Looking down into Needles District.

Ended up being a bit too hot to want to camp at lower elevations in the sandstone, so we decided to retreat back to our previous night’s spot and start Chop Chop meal preps.

Yes, that was 3 burners being used.

Next day was couple more hikes and cliff dwellings then the Cuban Picadillo night.

The desert always bites back -

How much erosion has taken place over the last 800 years? It’s some pretty precarious access to the upper floors - or were they that adept at climbing? What about the kiddos? the pregnant mommas? the clumsy dads? Looks too far for ladders.

The meal prep -

and the result!

Exploration, conversation, cooking, coffee - great little weekend. Hope you’re getting out there - every day is now shortening by a few minutes on the journey to the autumnal equinox and then the winter solstice…

3 Likes

A quick trip to feel 48 degree mornings and distract us from the 115 of Phoenix. Big Lake Rec Area, 9000 feet ASL, that’s what it takes here in AZ in August. A small walk on Thompson Trail in Apache Sitgraves NF, a Chicken Kitchen Chop Chop bowl and a perfect tailgate lunch. I guess we did see a Mario Bros power up - didn’t need the extra speed so drove around it - haha! Soon camping season in AZ begins again. Kids are in school, the forests depopulate, and all becomes quiet again.

There is one new addition to the GFC. Another point of “reducing friction”. We got a new toy at work. So, just HAD to try something out.

2 Likes

So, The Maze District. Seven days, out and about, red sandstone, wind, rain. Craig Childs talks about the desert southwest and water. “In the desert, the two primary elements are stone and water. Stone comes in abundance, exposed by weathering and a lack of vegetation. It is a canvas. Water crosses this stone with such rarity and ferocity that it tells all of its secrets in the shapes left behind.”

The trip started auspiciously, cloud complexes bypassing us, showing us, telling us, their intentions. We remained dry, even saw evidence of their passing around us. The next morning however, the rains came. Coffee happened inside the bed.

We added a stop to our trip, a hike of sorts. In the rain. Into a canyon. In the desert. Which at this particular moment in time almost everyone would consider folly (my sister most vocally) given the happenings of the last few weeks. But McCloyd Canyon called and we had a permit. Besides, we’re experienced adventurers - ha!

McCloyd was truly delightful in the rain, sitting under overhangs and wondering just how much celebrating would have went on 1,000 years ago with a slow and steady rain. We ended the day up in the Abajo Mtns, a sweet potato chana masala for my meal. Next day we stopped by to visit an older lady, generally estimated around 2,000 years old, of the Barrier Canyon style. Quite well preserved. Then, on to Canyonlands.

Shelf roads, crazy geologic formations, chocolate drops as it were.

We did a bit of astrophotography, and wow are these silly phones capable. Way back a friend and I did a Photo-a-Day project and I did a bit of star trails and attempted some Milky Way photos. Yeah, the crop sensor Nikon wasn’t really up to this level.

Canyonlands is just something else. If it hasn’t been apparent, read some Edward Abbey, some Craig Childs, and go see.

4 Likes