Broke's 3rd Gen Tacoma V2 Pro Camper Build

A little back story on my experience with GFC… During late 2020/Early 2021 I had a Jeep Gladiator Willys and wanted to go do more outdoor stuff like I always have enjoyed. In talking to a buddy we came across GFC and the announcement of the Superlite Launch Edition. So after purchasing a Rebel Offroad bed rack and the Superlite, we went out on some pretty great adventures in Michigan. I loved the Superlite, it seemed to fit my needs pretty well at the time. But then, I started looking at more instagram pictures and noticed something changed. They quietly changed the rear door in a way that could be propped out with an awning kit. I immediately purchased a new one and sold the original launch edition. Purchased Fred Runner’s (@fred__runner on instagram) side door awning kit and messaged him on instagram to be a test mule for the new door awning kit. My love for the Superlite increased exponentially. I didn’t have an awning at the time, so when it rained I now had the ability to use the Superlite rear door as an awning. I would stand on the tailgate and use the Superlite as a standing desk to get some work done while the rain passed through.

The biggest issue I started facing was that I adopted a dog in 2022 - a deaf Doberman puppy. No no, he isn’t the issue lol I am. The problem was there was no way I could carry him up and down the ladder into the tent, so he slept in a collapsible fabric crate in the bed of the truck. I started to feel bad and wondered how comfortable he actually was, especially on cooler or rainy nights. It was last year that I decided that he deserved better, plus the addition of a new dog - an Australian Shepherd. So the build would have to change. I ordered a V2 Platform Camper during Black Friday 2023, I just needed to figure out what truck it was going on.

I enjoyed my time with the Gladiator but I wasn’t in love with it. It didn’t have all of the options I would have wanted, and I think I removed the freedom panels like twice during my 3 years of ownership. Fighting the solid front axle on the highway during longer drives to the UP made me feel drained afterwards. And lastly, it is very capable off road, but I don’t rock crawl so it was just more than I needed.

I decided a 3rd Gen Tacoma was going to be the best course of action for me. So I purchased a 2022 Tacoma TRD Pro over Memorial Day weekend this year. I sent over my VIN and got in line for production, fully believing that I wouldn’t see it until Spring 2025 as build dates were out to November and because that is my busiest time of year - workwise (October - March is brutal) - I couldn’t possibly find the time to drive from Michigan to Montana for install. But then the Pro news came out. I immediately jumped on the upgrade but also contacted them early June to see if I can just put a date on the calendar for sometime in the Spring of 2025 as the Schedule Install email only showed November dates. They one-upped me and offered me July 11th, as someone just cancelled their install that same day. Sounds good! Zoomed out there last week and got it installed. Not sure if Zoomed is the proper term as the drive time neared 55 hours round trip, but we’ll go with it lol

The goal of the truck build is more OEM+ than it is to turn it into something I don’t need. Functionality, longevity, and ergonomics will always remain as the primary goal.

Stage 1 of the build commences…

Just to preface, some things were purchased and/or installed shortly after picking up my truck in preparation for the GFC. Those items are:

• Bed lights (amazon) - Installed
  • Desert Does It Seat Jackers - Installed
  • Interior outlet upgrade kit (Guild Outfitters) - Installed
  • Mountain Hatch Tailgate Table - Installed
  • JEDesigns Drip Rail - Installed
  • 63Industries Propane Tank Mount - Installed
  • Westcott Designs TRD Pro Front Lift Kit (On Order)
  • Headstrong AAL (waiting for Front Lift Kit to arrive)
  • Method Race Wheels 703 Bead Grips (On backorder)
  • Freespirit Recreation 270 Awning (waiting on awning mounts)

I will scour my phone for pics of any of the already installed items.

Thank you for joining me on my build thread :smiley:

3 Likes

Did not want to cut the plastics to install an outlet, so used the cutting guide/bottle opener as the mount and found a pre-existing bolt to mount it! Haven’t had any issues thus far

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Someone on Facebook asked about lighting so I figured I would also put it here. The wiring is a DC5521 connection which connects to most EcoFlow products. Bluetti has been removing this port on some of their newer models. Anker doesn’t have it on any of their power stations (unless I missed it).
Testing the different brightness levels of the lights and the wattage they draw. I found that from dimmest to brights, the wattages are 7, 17, 23, 29, 35, 42 & 49 watts maxed out, and the EcoFlow doesn’t read out a wattage on the dimmest setting. Red is about 5-9 watts lower per brightness level.

1 Like

Love the Doberman with full ears! What a cool pup.

1 Like

Very rudimentary rendition of @julian 's mosquito netting. Had to rip it out quick for the dogs on the first camping trip. Will be redoing it with better material and magnets instead of velcro over the fall/winter. Thanks Julian for the idea, the dogs enjoyed it!

1 Like

3 Likes

Hell ya! Nice work @broke! :handshake:

1 Like

Nice setup! Where did you get the netting for the bedding? @broke

Hey! I bought it on Amazon. For the price, you can’t beat it

1 Like

Any issues with the fabric being too loose around the doors?

Are you asking about the tent fabric? If so, I haven’t had any issues with looseness