Camper Mattress!

The singles look a little wide or I would be considering 2x the one person ones. I like the price point. The mattress is too hard for me so I put an inflatable pad on top. It would be nice to just deflate and leave these ones up there.

I pick up my camper end of June so I can report back on the fit of the Duo.

1 Like

I also wonder how the long wide duo fits in the XL camper? The replies to your post don’t specify whether they are referring to the long wide double or the medium double.

which latex did you get the soft, medium or firm?

I have an XL, and have used a megamat duo 10 long wide double. It fits really well width-wise. It doesn’t slide around at all once you’re on it. For reference, I’m able to squeeze a 1L nalgene between the mattress and tent with the mattress pushed all the way to one side. However, if you’re a tall-ish back sleeper, you might have issues with your feet hitting the ceiling (I’m 6’2" and have to curl my toes on my back). Plus, you probably won’t be comfortable sleeping with your head in the front of the wedge. I do that solo in the winter to carry my breath with the cross breeze of the front vents to prevent condensation.

The biggest issue is that you kind of render the transform-a-floor useless for getting in/out of bed. That’s not a problem for me in fair weather, since I can easily climb up the back of my truck when the tailgate is closed. But I haven’t used the megamat in winter in the GFC yet. I usually like to hang out downstairs with my heater before bed, and just climb up inside. The only solution I can think of is to leave it deflated, climb up, unfold it with your bedding, and pump it while you’re already lying on it. I see they make an electric pump now, so I might give that a shot.

We have an alternative to the Megamat Duo that we’re going to run with the stock pads removed to give us options of adding or removing bedding as the weather changes. We’re also going to rig a pulley system to pull the mattress up towards the ceiling during the day so we can sit/stand/change clothes down below.

I’m worried about the sharp metal edging(s) around the platform and transform-a-floor. Is there a tape that i can cover all of the sharp edges with to protect the mattress from puncture?

Thanks.

Hello all! First post here.

Im waiting on my RTT to be built currently and I can’t help but read about everyones experiences with theirs. It seems most are not happy with the included 2" foam mattress. Has anyone tried the GFC Puff Pad? I ordered it with my tent in the hopes that it would be able to stay in the RTT with bedding once deflated, and hopefully comfortable enough to sleep on without extra padding.

Anyone who’s tried it care to chime in with your experience?

Thanks!

Jeepeto

Hey! Looking to go the same route, so you just took the original foam off the modular pop outs and continued to use those as the floor boards to lay the Hest dually on? Thank you for your time and efforts!

Yo @Jeepeto! Late reply to the party but that puffpad is pretty dang comfy. We’ve got one and use it a bunch while car camping / friends and family crashing at our place for the night. Nice and adjustable for firmness, and the top layer of fabric is soft and stretchy. Feels solid and it’ll last a long time.

For our camper we’ve got the @WrinkledPants overland softgoods topper which is just amazing :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

I took the white board out of the pads and just laid those boards down, and took the other big pads out that didn’t have them and laid the dually out.
It was great but definitely noticed it was harder to close the camper, it seemed to bow a bit in the middle and I could see the tent, and had some wear and tear in the tent also from it. We use the dually mostly in our kids room now and have opted to go with the overland soft goods mattress pads that go in each pad which have been good enough for us. The dually is the most comfortable thing ever though.

2 Likes

25+ nights in this setup with their fitted sheets. Loving it!

7 Likes

Just stopping in with some pictures to help some others out there decide on an aftermarket mattress.
Here is my Hest Dually (LONG) mattress set up in the GFC V2. It fits great, and it’s super comfortable!
If camping solo, you can fold it in half for even more support.
When unfolded, it fits perfectly in the GFC “side-to-side”. As seen above there is some extra head room that the Hest mattress doesn’t extend to but this is no biggie in my opinion.

Make sure you don’t buy the Hest Dually WIDE mattress! It won’t fit in the GFC! I made this mistake initially. Thankfully Hest has fantastic customer support, and refunded me for the wide mattress while letting me purchase a used Hest Dually Long mattress at a 30% discount.

5 Likes

Nice! I got a Hest Foamy (Regular) a few weeks ago to test, which is 78" L x 25" W. It’s exactly half a Dually but requires two separate pads, which is preferred. I’m sold on it and need to buy the second one soon. The wedge tent closes fine with the Hest Foamy, with the original GFC pads removed. There was a little resistance at the beginning, but I figured out how to position the mattress so that it doesn’t interfere with the top assembly when closing.
The best thing I found out was folding the Foamy in half and using it as a loveseat for reading.

Excuse the homeless look. Proof of concept on some shelving.
-Ron

4 Likes

After home made foam additions, then air mattresses, I settled on this solution as well — The Heat Dually. I suggest @GFC embrace the large world of after-market mattresses and provide guidance to the community. It would be great to be able to buy the product with no foam and be pointed to a few compatible options.

1 Like

Is that on a standard GFC or the XL GFC?

Standard. The extent to which I have jacked around with this shit is beyond stupid. I recently tested out an exped 15 which was incredibly comfortable but was too wide.

I slept on night on the Hest this week and slept very well. I should also mention that I move around a lot when I sleep. There are some folks, like my wife, that sleep like a vampire hands crossed over, the whole bit. I chase rabbits. Judgement free zone. So deep foam doesn’t work for me because I feel like I am being trapped and can’t get my normal 12 miles of sleep craziness in. The Hest is very nice, soft but not trapped.

The only thing factoring is with the Hest its hard to get in from the underside. Not impossible by any means, but clumsy. I didn’t bring my ladder on that trip, but will bring it every time now. Also sleeping on it folded in half wouldn’t work for me as the comfy side is on the inside.

I am trying out the exped car-camping sleeping bags. They are only $100 and are not designed for cold weather (I live in So Cal). I would check ‘em out.

Hope this helps.

6 Likes

For those using the Hest Dually Long mattress, can you keep it in the tent and shut the tent, or do you have to take it out to shut it?

My experience trying the Hest Dually Long on my GFC V1 №172 without the original 3" pads was incredibly difficult to close. The mattress caused the roof and frame to deflect, so I decided against using it.

I ended up buying one Hest Foamy to give it one last chance, and it works perfectly. I can close it fine if I move the pad away from the side, and there is no noticeable deflection or added effort to close the top. (I removed the original 3" V1 pads.) I mostly use it for single sleeping, so it works perfectly. My plan is to add a second one to turn it into a partitioned Hest Dually. The pads even have clips to join them together. With the GFC inside frame being 50" wide and adding two 25" wide pads, I assume there won’t be any gap, and it will be a dually that can separate, which is a perk in my opinion.

My previous setup was an Xped Megamat 10 Medium, which is incredibly comfortable. I highly recommend it. However, I got tired of inflating/deflating it with a rechargeable pump I had due to the noise it made during late nights/early mornings.

3 Likes

Had not really seen much info come through on these but decided to get one and try it out anyway. Was hoping it’d still fit with the topper closed but wasn’t expecting it to and sure enough it did! Not too much extra muscle to get it closed. I got the Dually long, did you go with the wide? Have you had any issues leaving it stored up there compressed for long periods of time?

1 Like

I didn’t go wide. Just the standard sized one. I noticed the camper bowed in the middle and you could see the mattress. Since I saw that I took the mattress out and put the stock ones back in. If we go on a long trip I’ll throw the Hest back up there. For daily driving I have the stock ones up there.