Cantilever over cab rack idea

I found an old screenshot I took a long time ago for the prototype they were working on. It’s a better close up angle of it.

7 Likes

@Jcrodes Yeah, aesthetics, but also I feel like the noise would be less under the GFC. Also, I just wonder about vibrations and movement at higher speeds when unloaded and hanging out over the cab. Totally off the cuff feeling.

:v:

Alright folks, well I built a rough prototype out of wood and put an empty Wolfpack up there. Went out for a drive on the highway up to 80mph or so and it didn’t whistle or anything. I was to lazy to take off the ladder, but the prototype didn’t add any noise the ladder was already making which wasn’t much of anything.

I bought all the parts so I’ll post up some pics of it completed with me standing on it hopefully!

3 Likes

Nice! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

1 Like

I am sure the wood is thicker than what you will be using but we did flex test my truck to make sure the rack would not hit the cab and it just barely cleared flexed all the way out on our loading ramp at GFC, just something ton consider!

Good thought. I saw the center of the cab is the highest point. By chance do you have an idea what the clearance of the prototype rack is before flexing?

Stoked to see the final version. Fantastic idea.
Hopefully it works on all the trucks

Ok so parts came in and I got the two rails on. Ordered the wrong brackets for the crossbars so hopefully those will come before this weekend.

There is a lot of flex, but it’s not coming from the cantilever setup I just put on. I’ll probably keep total weight to under 80lbs, but I think it’ll work for me.

More to followUploading: E2210EAD-2136-488F-B405-07BB0C239F2B.jpeg…

I don’t see how to upload videos to show it flex, but my 160lbs flexes the camper/truck a little under and inch. I’ll get some more accurate measurements later

So the first time I put my weight on the new rack I noticed a lot of flex and was concerned the gfc frame may be flexing under the cantilevered load. After take some measurements and putting my level on top of the GFC frame I don’t think the GFC frame is flexing which was a relief.

Here are some pics showing the level staying in contact with the GFC frame under load. The level is centered above where the GFC extends over the truck.

Also some pics showing the truck flexing. At the end of the GFC frame deflecting an 1/8” and at the end of the new rack deflecting 3/4”.

Hopefully I’ll have the rest of the parts to finish this weekend.

3 Likes

Well I think it works great. So I’m going to run it for a while.

I’m 160lbs, For reference.

The box is about 28lvs and I’ll be putting another on the other side that’s about 20.

It’ll take some regular checking in on the bolts (I used the blue loctite), but otherwise should be maintenance free.

I centered the rails over the stock Tacoma rubber roof seals, which allow the most room for the chassis to flex.

10 Likes

Nifty design and prototype! I will likely design a similar rack for my V2 on access cab Tacoma. I wasn’t thrilled about potentially drilling into my roof to install rivnuts for mounting a Prinsu style rack.

There is a double T-slot that is stationary (not rotating up with the top half). I would mount to the triple tracks on either side, similar to Mike’s prototype, as well as the double slot.

1 Like

Oh cool. Glad they kept some of that functionality on the new tent.

For flex Mike was meaning the truck flex… Like driving one tire up a ramp simulating driving on uneven surfaces. This would twist the bed and push the rack into the top of your cab.

I attached a pic for reference.

1 Like

Well I found something to flex the chassis on. The new rack didn’t come very close to the cab.

As this is my daily driver and doesn’t see much more than fire roads I’m very confident it’ll do the trick for me.

1 Like

Would be a perfect spot for strapping Maxtrax (particularly in a thick Blue Ridge stowage bag to avoid drawing attention). Gets them out of the truck bed, and they’re light enough to avoid flexing the rack (wind loading would be the main force). The GFC prototype looks solid in its anchoring/bracing, and also seeming well enough above cab height. But if intended only for light stuff like MaxTrax, we could make this with crossbars much simpler and smaller than their beef bars. I’m intrigued (because the bagged Trax are always in the way back there).

1 Like

another maxtrax bag

Hey if anyone is interested in the cantilever rack it’s for sale! PM me if your interested

1 Like