CB Antenna with GFC

Anyone have a CB antenna mounted on the GFC? I"m debating using a NGP antenna that can flip up on the side, but I’d prefer the extra signal strength of a ground plane setup. Curious if anyone has any ideas here aside from the ditch light style mounts…

1 Like

Any luck with this question? I’m looking at the same thing and wondering if I need to add a ground wire to the bracket?

1 Like

I have my antenna in a bracket and cocked at an angle towards the back to help with going under “stuff” with no ground wire and everything works great. I’m usually not shooting for distance with the signal. but on my 17 mile commute from work I can chat with a gentleman on his base station and never lose signal in either direction. I use a President Andy. it’s a great little inexpensive radio

as you can tell from the replies, CBers are a dead breed

1 Like

I recommend a HAM set up for longer distances and with repeaters you can have so many more options.

2 Likes

I am on VHF not CB but I used a machined 90* bracket for my antenna mount. Did have to open up the hole a bit for my specific antenna mount. Works great.

1 Like

I was hoping to use CB for both on and off road communications. Having a CB for road alerts from big trucks is nice. Would gmrs be better?

1 Like

I always run a CB just for trucks, and handheld for people I am with. I haven’t with the GFC but a ground wire always helps and is easy. Always could do something off the hood too so you get a better ground plane.

2 Likes

Here’s how I did my GMRS antenna. Thankfully the cable for the antenna was long enough. I got rid of that slack you see in the closeup of the antenna.

this shows the wire clips I added for the antenna wire

7 Likes

Nice work on that GMRS set up. Been thinking about doing something similar.

The cool thing is that my friend also has a Midland radio, so we can use the Midland privacy codes, which so far has meant no interference from other people using the same main channel. you just have to add a half second pause after pushing the talk button

1 Like

You happy with that antenna? I use GMRS and have been thinking about upgrading mien but unsure on this stubby guy.

As long as you don’t have big hills/mtns in between, the range is pretty good. Lots of trees can sometime interfere too. Depends on the terrain you’re in, so I don’t want to over promise. For awhile, I just had a handheld, and my friend had a midland mxt400 with a stubby antenna on his Sprinter van’s hood hinge, not as high up as my photo above. We didn’t have to separate very far, like a quarter mile, I could hear him, but he couldn’t hear me on the handheld. Now that we both have the cab radios with stubby antennas, we can usually separate 2-3 miles on the lower power channels, before it hiccups at all. It’s made getting separated at traffic lights less of a problem. We stay in touch over the radio until we meet up again. New England problems I guess. Lots of spotty cell service on the back roads.

2 Likes