Closing tailgate and hatch from inside?

How’s everyone closing their tailgate and rear hatch from the inside?

Any good tips/tricks?

Any tricks to keeping the hatch closed tight but not locking yourself inside? or ways to keep the latches from locking shot, say if a buddy wants to play a joke on you and close the latches from the outside…

So far i have a strap going through one of the torx bolts holding my tailgate cap on… i can use that to close the tailgate… with the fragile hinges, it would seem like you’d want to have something inside to close the hatch either in the middle or evenly from both sides…

1 Like

If your tent is open you can open the back window and reach down to lock/unlock the rear panel. If I just need to ensure the back is closed and don’t care about the sides, I open the sides, lock he back, and pull down the sides.

I’ve been using a couple of small bungee cords to keep it closed when it’s really windy.
I shut the latch and then tried to open it from the inside the other day but couldn’t figure it out.

Put something simple together tonight… some extra paracord and carabiners I had laying around.

Keep it up high for normal use and easier to keep the cord out of the way when closing.

Drop it down to limit the hatch opening so it can work better with an awning off the back.

Easy pull down using both sides to lower evenly from the inside.

Made a small loop for hatch securing when inside not having to use the main latches.

Then a strap for the tailgate to close and lower down slowly when opening

4 Likes

Just made this removable handle for the tailgate… just a metal strap on the tailgate and a handle with a hooked strap. Makes it so i can use the truck regularly without the handle getting in the way

2 Likes

Interior Handle

5 Likes

I love this, and I am totally stealing the design.

I sell the physical as well as the STL if you have a printer

2 Likes

My inside handle works great.

1 Like

I went with this Yotatwins offering https://yotatwins.com/collections/handles/products/t2-paracord-tailgate-pull-strap-v1-0….but I like your solution just the same. :metal:t3:

Glad you like it, Pete!

1 Like

I use one of these

78159-02-1000

This looks like a nice option. How did you attach it?

I just grab the tailgate and pull, same with the camper door. Not worried about locking it as I am in there and it’s a tent so really they could just climb up a tire unzip the side and do away with me so the extra step every night isn’t worth the effort

1 Like

One of the tailgate bolts

Do you think your handles would be strong enough to pull tailgate closed? Have the one for the GFC lid, and it’s great.

The handle itself would be for sure, it’d be down to the VHB. The exterior handle would probably be the one to use since it has more surface area. I think it would also depend on if your tailgate has a smooth surface. I doubt it would work too well with something like a Rhino Lining texture.

1 Like

My tailgate panel is aluminum and flat.

I bet it would work then. Throw some adhesion promoter on it prior to install and it should hold just fine.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you.