Coffee in the GFC

So you’re telling us that you buy pre-ground coffee beans?!

I mean, that is pretty much the same thing as powdered instant coffee, you just drink that stuff that you would have thrown away. :wink:

3 Likes

At home I’m a Hario V60 user (it’s a specific type of pour-over with a cone filter). When camping, I just use the plastic version (at home it’s ceramic). Same filters, same grind, same coffee:water ratio. I just bring whatever beans I currently have at home. I use a porlex hand grinder. I boil water on my coleman in a gooseneck kettle. Grinds + filter go in the trash bag if I’m dispersed camping, or just get chucked in the campfire if I’m at a campsite.

If I’m backpacking, then I just bring instant coffee and my jetboil. I like Alpine Start instant coffee for this - you can get it at REI.

2 Likes

I have a stainless filterless pour over by Cafellissimo that works well.

side notes on the stanley french press:

I have destroyed many french presses over my life- glass shattering, that stupid weak rod snaps, mesh falls off- we all have been there. right?

The stanley press is a solid plastic tube that fits inside the stainless “pot”. it is beefy and the mesh is formed in the plastic. this tube creates a small air gap which helps insulate your coffee- stays hotter longer. I have been abusing mine for a few years now and it’s still going strong

And BTW coffee grounds are biodegradable… just dump them in the grass. You’ll help the environment

Aren’t we all glampers now? We spent thousands of dollars to put a tent on top of our truck. My Dirtbag buddy who I go camping with sleeps literally in the dirt with a sleeping bag mean while I climb up into my fancy tent. He calls me a glamper.

6 Likes

Starbucks via with a couple of mini three musketeers makes a great trail mocha right after my instant oatmeal in the same cup . Then put on your wetsuit, grab your digging bar and get some more gold!

3 Likes

Throwing grounds or anything “biodegradable” on the ground is definitely not leave no trace ethics and will even get you a ticket from NFS and NPS.

It’s along the lines of people saying banana and orange peels are biodegradable (2 years and 6 months respectively). Yes they will eventually decompose because they are organic waste, but they will take a long time to fully decompose. Not to mention it brings animals to campsites and habituates them to humans because they associate humans with food. That’s how campsites get bear problems in the NW.

8 Likes

Maybe… I guess it’s a matter of perspective.

Peace.

We use a metal French press. Ground them at camp usually in a nutribullet from the truck outlet and make some go juice. Coffee might be the most important item in my camp inventory.

2 Likes

fixed that for you

@PNW meh i have my .454. that takes care of bears with 2 or 4 legs

2 Likes

That’s how trails/trailheads and campgrounds get shut down. Liter and animal habituation shuts down a lot of areas each year up here, not just with words but with gates being put up. So while you might feel comfortable the FS will shutdown access for everyone else because of animal human conflicts caused by human negligence and apathy. See places like the Olympics in Washington and Scotchman Peak area in Idaho for being shutdown because of mountain goats invading camps and trails for this reason. Hell there are cases where these goats have actually killed/gored people because they were standing between them and food.

That doesn’t even take into account bear invading camps. Convenience isn’t a good excuse to not be a good steward of public lands.

14 Likes

meh
you need to follow white man laws. I follow my own

1 Like

My current coffee setup usually involves bringing a small container of grounds from home, boiling water using a coleman stove, and a Sea to Summit collapsible dripper for a simple pour over. It doesn’t require a paper filter, but I’ll just use one anyways for easier cleanup at camp.

I’ve also recently just tried some instant from my favorite Montana roaster, Black Coffee out of Missoula, and it definitely did the trick for some quick coffee in the morning. Heres a link to them: https://www.blackcoffeeroastingco.com/product/instant/

I’ve been looking into some sort of aeropress or french press option too, but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything.

1 Like

That has nothing to do with it. It is common sense to ensure continued access to our public lands. It is bigger than just one person doing what they want. For the sake of all of us please consider the impacts of leaving attractants in campsites. A gun is not a viable excuse to litter.

12 Likes

Aeropress is awesome. Super easy clean up and makes a good cup of joe for sure. I use that at home most of the time, not just for camping. I’m not a huge coffee knowledge expert, but I would highly recommend it

3 Likes

For me coffee is one of life’s great pleasures, so before a trip I home roast 1/2 - 1 lb of beans. Since water is at a premium where I camp, I have to use a method that doesn’t waste any water and has minimal to no cleanup.

A single Melitta style pour over using paper filters fits the bill. I fill coffee mug with water and then dump into kettle, while water is heating I grind my beans using an old Salter hand grinder. Heating the exact amount of water needed also means I don’t waste any propane.

While not quite as good a brew method as I use at home, using freshly roasted beans and freshly ground, makes for a heck of a good cup.

Toss the paper filters on a rock to dry out and either burn them at night if allowable or pack them out.

5 Likes

If you’re into espresso check out EspressoForge! It’s super solid aero press style hand press. It uses standard commercial baskets and parts. You can use the same grind and profile from a full size machine in the field! Bonus is the o-rings are DASH 111 you can get spares at any auto parts place. It gets up to 11bar and uses 20g of coffee per shot.

6 Likes

Looks like you can no longer get the forge… :frowning:

For your inner hipster: https://www.vsslgear.com/pages/vssl-java-landing-page?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1KiBBhCcARIsAPWqoSrWmwQEbjWu3ud_5nzVDV0IqGHuDXU4uczYSQXqTpNcKUo-81sbWboaAm4IEALw_wcB

NOOO!!! the moment I find out a product exists and it’s taken away seconds later

1 Like