Coffee in the GFC

Tea Maker on the Trail

My tea set up!

i - for one - will be moving to the ā€œbripeā€

12 Likes

Omg, thanks for the link. This guy is hilarious. The product might be good, Iā€™m not sure yet but the video is top notch.

I use an aeropress usually, and I agree Starbucks Via is the best instant coffee. Percolator coffee is fine too. Itā€™s all graded on the curve when camping.

2 Likes

Ha! That thing is truly amazingly absurd! On an important note theyā€™re running a 50% sale.

2 Likes

ā€œbecause you canā€™t bripe in metricā€

3 Likes

@d.shaw Iā€™m buying one just because of that guyā€™s video - which, according to Bripeā€™s webpage - is why they are on back order lol

1 Like

I really like making Indian coffee. I tried a recipe from the internet once and I really liked it. When I travel I usually use a mini coffee machine that has the same size as a bottle and makes a good coffee.

2 Likes

aeropress for us. simple, small and cleans up way easier than a french pres, essentially just wipe the plunger off after using. weeks worth of used grounds fits in a baggy and they are basically dry after use so no mess. I pre grind my beans the morning I take off and put them in a sealed container.

1 Like

I have a Phin Filter a Vietnamese friend gave me, works good for 1 cup, I believe they have different sizes but the one I have is a single cup size. He said traditional settings in Vietnam everyone has their own Phin Filter at the table and you make your own coffee. Vietnam was occupied by the French at one point and this is a Vietnamese take on the French Press.

I use Medaglia Dā€™Oro Espresso instant coffee often also, itā€™s the only instant I can stand. Itā€™s convenient and pretty decent for instant coffee.

My wife has been using a clever dripper and a manual burr grinder out camping the past year or so. We have really enjoyed the pour over flavor extraction you get with this set up. It is a bit over the top though, not minimal in any sense of the word! She generally does the work though, so it is a perfect set up for me! :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

that is exactly what we use, and I love it

https://espressoforge.com/ Looks like he is gearing back up for production, so you are in luck.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit of a coffee snob. The routine with camping is use my porlex hand grinder to grind the beans, boil the water with my jet boil, then transfer the heated water to my goose neck kettle to actually pour the water, and then run an aeropress. Lastly, bring the coffee into the camper and have a ripper start of the day!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a sweet kitchen setup- what kind of swing out is that?

Itā€™s the RIGd ultra swing!

2 Likes

Oh, I am also using the same one:)
This is a great little camping coffee maker! I love mine! I heated my grounds up with the water so it wouldnā€™t have to steep so long. We had a large group, so I made 3 of these pots and poured them into a universal kettle that we kept hot over the fire and it was enough for all of us for the morning. A 12 cup size would be amazing! This one tucks away nicely in with our gear.
It was a little difficult to remove and insert the filter/strainer portion, but I lubed ours up with a little coconut oil initially and really havenā€™t had much difficulty since.

1 Like

I do pour over at home but Iā€™ve found the jet boil with their french press kit to be super convenient and doesnā€™t take up any more space than the jet boil itself (it packs inside it) and Iā€™ve always got the jet boil with me.

Coffee is ground with a Orphan Espresso Lido 3 manual grinder.

2 Likes

Either Pour-over, or AeroPress, if Iā€™m feeling super lazy then Starbucks Via

2 Likes

After reading the stringā€¦ my conclusion is COFFEE WINS THE DAY. No matter how 'ya make it!

4 Likes

YES!! and coffee in the woods is ALWAYS better than coffee at home

2 Likes