Daily Driver Built for Activities - Tundra TRD Pro

I bought this truck new about 4 years ago, and have used it pretty heavily in/around Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, and California. It’s my daily driver and gets used for “truck stuff” all the time. Having used it for a while now, I think I have a pretty good idea of the weak spots and what can be improved, so I’m embarking upon what should be a reasonably significant build-out this spring.

I have already done a few things in preparation:

King shocks and SPC upper control arms
Custom Alcan leaf springs made for 1500 lbs over stock
35x12.50 BFG KO2s (stuck with 35s since a full-size spare will fit in the stock location)
Hypertech speedometer/shift-point recalibration for the larger tires

Back with more soon!

7 Likes

Jealous of that V8 TRD Pro! Looks great so far.

As envious as I am of all the incredible fully-built out rigs I’ve seen on here, I’m equally a fan of the simple / keep-it-flexible build-outs that preserve the use of truck for the “daily driver / utility” mission. Looking to do something along similar lines with my rig. Thanks and looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

THAT is a great looking Tundra.

Get it dirty.

Looking forward to seeing your build. I have a 2017 white Tundra Crewmax 4x4. I paid a deposit for a used GFC v2, being delivered on Monday 5/27/24. I already have a 2" lift (6112/5160 with deaver leaf pack), 285’s, DIY cubby/drawer system and I fabricated my own full length rock sliders (COVID project). Finally pulled trigger on selling my truck shell and picking up a GFC.

The GFC comes with a few mods, but looking forward to seeing what’s good for another Tundra. I’m already looking into modding the front panel and making the front window removable (or hinged) so I can access the cab from the bed.

Installed the SDHQ hidden bedside support system '07-21 Toyota Tundra SDHQ Built Hidden Bedside Support System

I had been getting some squeaking from an unknown source when rolling over bumps and this mod completely fixed that. I thought of putting in the total chaos stiffeners as well, but I don’t think they’re needed after installing these:

1 Like

Put in a Decked drawer system (the legacy one) with a bedslide mounted on top

Also added a Mountain Hatch for the tailgate surface. I relocated some of the mounting points so I can still service the tailgate lock (have had the lock actuator fail before in the cold)

Did a little work to my Rigd Ultraswing. First, touching up all the paint that had chipped off. The powercoat is really crap on these (or at least on mine).

7A0A3A67-F26B-4EF1-A15E-60338A4996CC_1_105_c
C0FA04BD-14F0-4CCF-8688-9A992BBC1326_1_105_c
E2A08ADF-A85E-4908-B09D-35B3EF748053_1_105_c

Then made up some spacers out of HDPE so that I can mount a Rotopax on the swing out and still clear the Side Hack. I also relocated the license plate mount so the plate wont be obscured by the rotopax.

02FB0285-3588-4A0C-84AC-DE42B93AAA71_1_105_c
119C2A39-D516-47E0-A56F-4369306D1D44_1_105_c

Here is the final product. Moved my backup camera to mount on the top of the HDPE spacer. Perfect view of the trailer hitch for hooking up trailers (which I have to do often). Also a hint in these pictures as to a future project to be posted here soon.

Added a full set of VNRCLR frame bags. For the mounting points in the frame, I replaced the little rubber inserts GFC gives you with plus nuts to beef things up a little. I’ve pulled out the rubber ones before during normal use. The plus nuts are MUCH more stout.

3E4BEB68-0F0E-4F4C-86B2-03E0D1F8BD1D_1_105_c
34B594C5-1AD7-4BC9-8924-D20E006FC274_1_105_c
069881A5-8BE3-4D0A-8D8E-F803A27A5814_1_105_c
6A30DB26-0DD0-49A8-8FF2-CE5673CF96F1_1_105_c

Took it out for some activities

1 Like

Modified some Milwaukee packout mounting plates for my needs to create a bench / storage system using their XL Toolboxes and their biggest cooler (same exact size as the XL toolbox)

Used a Dometic cordless tap, in connection with the cooler, a Packable Joey Mount, and some accessory Milwaukee makes that is some sort of cup holder??? to create a running water system. When you pull out the bedslide it clears the tailgate and the water doesn’t get all over your truck bed.

2 Likes

Took her out for a spin. Things seem to be working pretty well.

A few little additions: Got some of the Milwaukee Packout work surfaces to make a more comfortable bench setup, Screwed down my Cook Partner 22" stove to one of them so I can use it inside if it’s raining or on my tailgate table to cook outside.

Added a small Packout storage box under the stove. Planning to keep my tea in there. The storage box next to the stove will be to store other kitchen utensils etc. Can easily click it off and use outside, if I want to cook on the Rigd swing out table. This setup also has the added benefit of making the top of my stove relatively flush with the adjacent work surface, so I have a pretty reasonable “countertop” setup

3 Likes

I like the tea idea…I got a little storage just for tea and coffee :smile:

Added the JE Designs Drip Rails:

1 Like