Decked system and camper questions

Just placed my order for a camper for my short bed tacoma. I’m thinking about getting a Decked system. My main concern is shaving off 12 inches of height in the bed and making it more difficult to get in the tent.

Do you have a decked system in your tacoma? Do you regret it? Do you like it?

Other option would be to get the ladder to get in the tent.

We recently installed a DECKED system and love it. Mind you, my wife, daughter, and I are what you would call vertically challenged (I’m 5’8”).

I don’t find it too hard to crawl into the tent from the bed with the system installed, albeit a little tougher than before. The DECKED has actually made it much easier to get in while standing on the platform and I no longer need to jump into the tent or stand on one of the mounts to enter. We do have a ladder as well, although that has been used sparingly.

The most annoying part so far is the platform is more slippery than the bed mat we previously had installed, so things slide around more. Easily fixed with ratchet straps and bungees. You do lose the vertical space, but on a recent trip up to Big Sky, we were fully loaded and still had plenty of room. Guess it really depends on your use and needs, but overall we aren’t regretting the decision to install the DECKED at all!

2 Likes

oh that doesn’t look as tight as i thought it would be. looks totally doable even for my moderately in-shape self. i might just grab the ladder as well just in case.

looks like the Decked isn’t as dust proof as i thought it would be inside the drawers.

what’s that tail gate cover you got? is that the one from Trailgate?

also, could you post a picture from the side, i also have a black tacoma and would like to see what it looks like with the black camper.

Not a decked but a Ironman4x4 Drawer system…. They’re both about the same height—-12 inches give or take and I love it, easier to get into the upstairs area and since it’s carpeted, easier on my feet. You do have to duck to get into the camper itself in a little bit of a deeper dive than you would without but after the first few times, it becomes muscle memory…… so much more storage space for my tools and oddly shaped equipment

2 Likes

Picture was before DECKED install (obviously), but gives you an idea with the ladder. I called CVT (CVT Mt. Hood ladder) directly and let them know I was going to be using on a GFC, they took it from there. The initial pictures were from right after install, and the drawers are very good at keeping dust and water out (claimed to be weatherproof by DECKED). I think the pictures show more of the drawer texture, not dirt.

Tailgate insert is Mountain Hatch.

2 Likes

ok so you didn’t buy the ladder sold by GFC. will look into that and the tail gate cover.

Still love how clean your install is, definitely a great solution!

I believe it’s Mountain hatch >> Toyota Tacoma 2005-2022 Mountain Hatch Overland Tailgate Insert Board – Mountain Hatch USA

1 Like

do you have any up close pictures of how this mounts. I think I want to sell my decked and do something like this

How is that knock off? I’m looking for something less expensive like you.

Clean looking solution and looks like the make one for the Ram 2500 too! Yay!

I have a Decked system in my Raptor currently. It’s great. I also, had one in my Gen3 Tacoma. I had a regular cap on at the time, so it was a little more tight. However, with the GFC, I think you’ll be good to go. Plus, it gives you great storage solutions.

1 Like

Hi, I may have a solution for you. I recently did a decked modification that would work excellent for the GFC. This mod could also save you a significant amount of $$$. I will post a pick and a video to show how to do the mod. Hope this helps your decisions.

Here is the video:DIY Customize Decked Storage to Fit Your Truck-2022 Tundra Overland Build - YouTube

4 Likes