DIY Top Shelf

Has anyone made a DIY version of the VRNCLR Top Shelf or side storage? I really love their design but am not in a spot where I want to, spend nearly $200-300 for a storage bag. Anyone make their own?

3 Likes

I never saw the VRNCLR stuff til now. I just got started sewing my own gear, and I’m currently working on a pattern for a storage system/bag to hang using the hangers I make that mount without tools…

2 Likes

100% with you. Nice stuff… but gotta be something a little more reasonable.
I appreciate you post and call to this note.

I’d buy too.

@Rancho would love to see what your working on.

I’ll show it off sunday lol I am working and learning at the same time lol

I’ll take a shot of mine once it’s a little refined. Essentially I’ve installed 4 eye hooks on the interior roof tracks (2 on each side). I cut a piece of 3/8" plywood 1" shorter than the width of the camper top. Put two small holes in each end of the plywood and ran paracord through there. Attached 4 S-clips and boom, have a hanging, full width, about 13" deep shelf. It sits about midway up my legs when I’m sleeping and can hold water bottle, flashlight, phone, etc. without being in the road.

2 Likes

Here’s what I came up with for a storage pocket, since I’m still learning to sew I’m working on a couple different versions. I added Kydex to stiffen the body up and it worked nicely.

8 Likes

Heck yes!
Is it bi-fold or stiff the whole way through?
When will you have these available on your site?

Nice work mang!

For others looking in and checking out Ranchos online store (Lumbering Bear Adv), definitely well worth a look and his hooks and hangers are all quality made, good stuff!

2 Likes

Thanks man!!
Full Kydex is cleaner and easier, I think I’ll add a single pocket version to make it easier on me lol as it is, I’m practicing my sewing making a few, so I’ll sell them for a very reasonable price. The more consistent I get and confident I’ll pump out as much as I can.
I’m all about simple and effective.

3 Likes

@Rancho - These are so rad! Do you leave these in when closing down the tent. If so, did things still close smoothly without bunching, or do you usually remove them?

Might have to snag one of these in the future as well.

I tested leaving it in and it fell off the hooks, so I am going to use another design I have with just a hole and integrate it into the pocket so it should just hinge as the tent folds. I’ll find out shortly I’m heading out there right now lol

3 Likes

I make and sell storage bags that hang in the bed as an alternative to the VRNCLR frame bags. I wanted to offer an option that is much lower in price and doesn’t get I the way of side panel access. I’m at @firsttracksak on instagram, check it out!

3 Likes

Also, nothing but respect for VRNCLR and Lumbering Bear. There are so many cool companies making aftermarket GFC gear and there’s room for all of us. Personally I enjoy seeing us and others all coming up with unique storage solutions instead of the ripping off and undercutting we’ve all seen in other spaces. Cheers guys!

3 Likes

Hey i got lots of stuff that all needs bags…
Never enough room… always makes for a lot of room…for more room…

:melting_face: something like that…lol

1 Like

I loooove your work man!!

This is the final version the pockets are a bit bigger and I integrated the Percha hooks. I’m making ten this week hoping to get ten done, it sure takes time when you’re learning and making at the same time

9 Likes

sound of fingers impatiently tapping are they ready yet?

2 Likes

I’m working on them!! remember I am new to the sewing world lol

1 Like

I have one more of these ready and up if you are still looking. My apologies I forgot to post up here when I finished the first batch. Wall Sack | Lumbering Bear Adven (lumberingbearadventuregear.com)
I am working on a couple more of these to finish off the material I cut for them, then I will be making a single pocket design to save time and simplify it a bit.

2 Likes

do full size 1911’s fit in them?

1 Like

nope, but if that’s what you are looking for the next version will most likely fit it. I plan on making a single larger pocket.

1 Like