Fly Rod Carriers on top of the GFC

Is anyone running a Yakima DoubleHaul or similar roof top rod carrier system on top of the GFC? Before I invest in one I wanted to see how the fit is, my concern is that with the tent up and open the front end of the rod carrier will essentially hit the cab roof not allowing it to open fully (The DoubleHaul for example is 130" in length) DoubleHaul – Yakima

TIA!

1 Like

I have the Denver outfitters one and it works perfectly with my GFC up on top in general and in use. They are on the beef rack bars and fit just right on those and I believe it is 10 feet just like the yakama length.

2 Likes

My buddy wants to run a spey carrier. Do you know if either of those companies have one long enough for a 13’ rod?

1 Like

@Pbowman thank you- do you have any pics with the tent open? I don’t see how it WON’’T hit the cab roof with the length

@Slowboater maybe check Ultimate Rod Case, I believe they customize sizing

1 Like

not the best pictures but shows everything. Has a couple inches to spare on the roof portion of the truck.

2 Likes

thanks, I appreciate it

I ended up using quick fists and running the rods facing backwards. Works pretty good between spots as long as it’s not highway speeds with crosswind, slap a reel cover on for longer distances

1 Like

Big Sky Rod Box is pretty rad too. Fished with a guy who had one and was very jealous. there is also Spey foam additions as well.

1 Like

Still hoping to see some more pics of folks with these mounted on the GFC

I like the idea of the BSRB but the top lid access would be cumbersome I would think

1 Like

I could see that. Guy had it on top of a 15 passenger van though and had no issue standing on a tire to get to his equipment.

I had a Denver outfitters as well on the rooftop tent, used the round Yakima bar setup. Worked great.

1 Like

Has anyone mounted their rod vault directly to the T-Slot in the beef rack? It would mean re-orienting the feet. Photo attached for reference.

Not familiar with what you have, but if that orientation didn’t work a basic flat plate should allow you to drill various holes where they are needed to change the orientation.

Curious why you would want to mount it that way? Is there an issue with mounting it the normal way? I’ve got a Denver outfitters rod vault and was planning on mounting it with the bolts on either side of the beef bar like what others have shown in this thread. I was worried about the rack hitting the roof of the cab when the tent is deployed, but it looks like that should not be an issue based on what others have shown.

I was curious if anyone had a cleaner method instead of wrapping the beef bar with the stock hardware. Another option might be to drill the tube clamp and thread directly into a nut in the T-slot.

Riversmith 4-Banger … GFC round bar mount plates & Yakima bars. Works great!

1 Like

Thanks- how close to roof when open? I have a prinsu rack so curious on clearance

Plenty of room, and the rear panel doesn’t hit the reel box when I open it …

1 Like