Gas Mileage Effects

Honestly, stock 2019 Tacoma SR5 with stock tires and one 80/20 drawer build (stocked) and I have been averaging 21.4 over 5100 miles mostly to/from mountains around Colorado.

1 Like

Yeah. Mine will get 21.4 on a downhill with a tailwind, sometimes… Ha!

I still want to see pics of that that 78 westfalia…

Peace.

Funny enough it doesn’t exist. I’ve always wanted one. Tried to purchase several over the years. You know how it goes…looks amazing in person (that sage green interior) then you show up and its a rust bucket and you’ve been attacked by ants in a field.

One day though, I hope!

Holy cow, I can’t believe those Tacomas get such bad gas mileage.

I maybe lost 1 mpg on my 2500 Power Wagon on 35"s and average maybe 14-15mpg mixed and as high as 17.4mpg highway @ 75mph. In stop and go traffic I might get 13… :skull:

3 Likes

Gen 3? Automatic? Two things to do, first get the OTT or KDMax tune, Second is change your gears to 4.88 or 5.29:1 depending in how much weight you are adding. ATs run 3.91:1 stock while MT run 4.30:1. The ATs suffer from poor gearing and gear searching.

2 Likes

I designed a wind fairing for my access cab Tacoma. My model here doesn’t show a plastic part (quantity 4) that I will re-use from a Rhino Rack wind fairing (one that didn’t seem to help noticeably with MPG’s).

I should have enough material left over to make 2-3 more, if anyone in the SLC area is interested.

3 Likes

Agree with the Tune. Can’t afford a regear even though I’m sure I’d benefit from one. My ’16 Access Cab Tacoma has 275’s with a 2” lift, and a 900 pound Four Wheel Camper (!) and was getting about 16-18mpg on a daily basis after a KDMaxx Tune. My understanding is the new KDMaxx Pro tunes are even better. If you’re in the Front Range, then Adam with Colorado Toyota Tuning is the man!

My new Tacoma is a long boi DCLB which has the OTT tune and is getting 18.4 with 275’s, no lift, and winter fuel. Eventually it will also get a 2” lift and a Martin roof rack (in hopes to offset the loss in mpg’s then lift may cause. I figure the likelihood of losing mpgs from a 2” lift is the same likelihood as gaining mpgs from a wind fairing lol)

I’m in a 19 Tacoma and I went from 17 mpg on the way to Belgrade and after my build out I might get 13 mpg. I did upgrade from 31s to 33s and I added quite a bit of weight. A full tank will get me about 220 mi now.

1 Like

Got a 2020 Ford Ranger 4x4. Mixed driving (30-55mph) I can usually get 20-21mpg. On the highway doing 68-70mph, I get 18.5-19.5mpg’s. My truck is always near it’s max GVWR too. I’ve been happy with my solar panel & thule wind fairing setup though; it helps with wind noise and aerodynamics I think. Btw, Lightleaf is working with a custom shop on mounts, probably easier than my custom 2020 aluminum frame build. Lightleaf instagram post link.

1 Like

It only took me a few months but this fairing is finally built and installed. I’ll report back on hopefully a bump up in highway MPG’s.

7 Likes

Here is a 30" Sherpa Animas rack on an access cab. New to me truck and GFC install last month so I’m afraid I don’t have any MPG data for the comparison, but I feel like it helps lift the air from getting stuck in the void between the roof and the GFC. GFC allows the Animas rack to be in place at the GFC install. Only issue with the access cab is the roof has to be drilled to accept the Animas rack and given the location of the rearmost bolt that would have to happen with the GFC removed (or in my case installed prior to the GFC install). I don’t have any objectional noise at highway speed…but totally subjective data. Personally I like the look better.

1 Like

Looks great! Well, I did not want to drill into the roof and risk puncturing the air bags. So I made a wind fairing for my access cab build.

I drove for an extended duration on interstate and measured 18 MPG at 68 MPH. The most noticeable improvement is the wind noise reduction. Tacoma has 3" front lift, 1" rake, and 31.7" diameter tires at 35 PSI inflation.

5 Likes

Picked up #4701 this past Saturday. MPG from North Bend, WA to Belgrade was 10.8 with not much gear other than wife and dog. For reference when I had my ARE cap on I’d tow the airstream and get +/- 11.5 MPG.

Added GFC and ripped same speed and same route back at 12.1 MPG. Granted it’s a one time result so I’ll see without the trailer but it felt slimmer and knifed through wind better so I’m happy.

Trip post pending under the appropriate section.

3 Likes

your fairing looks great! I got some of this 3m paint protection clear film to protect my paint https://a.co/d/6FlkLyY I put it under each foot of my Thule awning. I tried zooming in on your photo but couldn’t tell if you had any.

2 Likes

Some layers of electrical tape (not shown in the photo) is what I put down to prevent paint rubbing off. I want to add an elastomeric layer as a vibrations damper.

Cool. I learned the hard way on my previous truck. I thought the rubber feet on awning would have been enough, but nope. Wore down to the primer before I noticed. Oops.

1 Like

Back with more information! Hopefully this helps some others out there.
I have been tracking my mileage continuously for around 10,000 miles now. Most of this with a Leer fiberglass midrise topper, and I usually made just over 20 mpg if I was light on the throttle, coasted as much as possible and avoided going over 65 on highways.
If fuel efficiency is your goal, this is as good as it gets!
I’m sure I could have achieved up to 22 mpg with this setup, with stock suspension and tires.

After some initial testing (~1k highway miles with the GFC installed), I can achieve a hair over 18 mpg with the same driving habits as described above.
I also have a Scangauge 2 OBD tool mounted in the cab, which lets me track live mpg data.
My truck is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma access cab long bed, with TRD Off-Road / 4x4 package.
Only modifications other than the GFC are Bilstein 5100’s in the front, add-a-leaf in the rear and slightly larger all-terrain tires.

Heavily considering a wind fairing in the future for the leading edge of the GFC.
I am avoiding adding more armor, gear etc. to the truck at the moment, because I am trying to keep my weight down as much as possible.
Keeping the truck light & nimble for some upcoming cross-country camping and National Park hopping.

4 Likes

GFC MPG calcs

Adding some of my own data to this thread. This is all hand-recorded from fillups/trip odo, so not scientific but as close as I’m willing to get.

The Butte, MT fillup included a lot of city-driving. The rest were 99% highway miles. I would say my average speed was roughly 75mph, probably lower going to Montana and higher coming back.

3 Likes