Gen 2 Tacoma + v2 camper wind noise

Im noticing a bit of wind noise at >50mph and a little loss on MPG since my GFC install a couple weeks ago. I saw another post on here about wind fairings on other trucks. Has anyone tried mounting a fairing to a roof rack or to the GFC tracks on a gen 2 tacoma? was it effective for noise and/or mpg? I don’t have a roof rack and trying to decide where to begin.

1 Like

I want to add a single cross bar with a wind fairing. But Im also not sure where to buy that.

Like this, but only 1, and with a wind fairing

1 Like

You do know that there is no easy answer to your questions or dilemma!!
The minute you decided to add a GFC to your truck you unconsciously decided to add weight, change your aerodynamics and lower you mpg to your vehicle.
The additional weight will lower your MPG and when you add the weight of additional gear, well do I need say more?
Aerodynamics - by adding a GFC we just changed the aerodynamics of our trucks and created a sh… load of resistance to boot. Yes, let’s add a windfaring to create less resistance. But what is the optimal angle to reduce the air resistance and improve the aerodynamics of the truck. If you are like most of us you don’t have a wind tunnel in your garage to determine that. So there will be a lot of trial and error.
As you know wind and water will find a way to pass an obstacle, and wind in doing so will generate noise.
David, if you are in search for a wind faring it should be at least the length of the cross bar over the cab. Depending on the amount of $$ you wish to spend Thule, Yamaha, etc. will be a good start. I have no shame in buy used on EBay.
Mike, If adding a roof rack over your cab is the solution you are seeking the amount of $$ you spend will be determined by the brand of vehicle you drive, Toyota, Chevy, etc. because roof racks available choices in many instances are determined by the brand of vehicle you drive.
I hate to sound like a Debbie downer! But as I said there are no easy answers to your questions and my response is based on reality.

1 Like

I pieced together 1 cross bar, Yakima Q towers and a fairing for $70 on craigslist and started experimenting with positioning on the roof. 14” back from the windshield seems to be the sweet spot so far. It solved nearly all of the wind noise up to 70mph. I have a road trip this weekend. Will report back on fuel economy.

4 Likes

I actually found two yakima crossbars for sale put in an offer–if I get them, I can sell one to you so we can split the cost and each have one that we need :slight_smile: What year is your Tacoma? I have a 2014 so these fit the 2005-2015 models. Let me know if that works for you!

1 Like

Mike, That is great news! In my opinion you are more than halfway to resolving the Two issues you first shared with us. So what I am about to comment is highly subjective because we have different vehicles (I have a Ram 1500 with 4”lift and oversized tires, etc, etc). The weight difference between both our vehicles will yield difference results for miles per gallon(MPG).
When I was looking at improving my MPG. I first determined what MPG I could live with, fully understanding that I will never reach the factory advertised MPG on the sticker. This of course because Overlanding requires modifications that in most instances adds weight to the vehicle. So I determined that 12 mpg was what I could live with and that became my goal. As I set out to achieve my 12 mpg goal, I noticed that for me to reach that MPG efficiency I had to average a 2000 to 2500 RPM on the highway at 70 miles per hour (MPH). No easy task because the world isn’t flat and “there are RPMs in those damm hills”. Will you always reach your MPG goal? Absolutely not! There will be days where it will be better and other days when it will suck! Of course, hills, speed cross winds, weight, etc. will always influence MPG.
So have fun in your weekend trip and let us know what the “sweet RPM spot” is for your vehicle.

Cheers!
Robert

1 Like

My offer was declined–but I know there are some more out there :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an extra pair of Qtowers. They’ll need Qclips and a bar to be useful, but happy to give them away if someone pays shipping. The clips are not easy to find. Q127 (front) Q128 (rear) are the clip part numbers. Im using the fronts near the middle of the roof and they seem secure. Q128 might be a tighter fit with the roof shape in the rear not sure.

1 Like

I would be very interested! Thank you!

I have a 2010 Access Cab Tacoma. I know they will fit if you get some