GFC Baja Surf Trip?

Ok. I had planned to use regular texting, but WhatsApp is fine as long as everyone in the group has it. The caveat here is that WhatsApp works in “some” places in baja with an international phone plan. Again, everyone may not have that.
Keep me updated on your leave status…

Peace.

1 Like

I can’t make it on this one due to conflicting plans but looking forward to pics and stories.

I have FirstNet/ATT and didn’t have issues with connection in most developed areas. I was surprised to have 4G/LTE down there.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t get work off this time around.
Hopefully catch y’all on the next one.

Hey guys, about 3 weeks out from the trip. Please reply here if you are definitely down for the trip. I want to collect mobile numbers for a text messaging planning discussion. Using WhatsApp has been suggested. I’m fine with that too.

I want to give people a heads up in terms of preparation.

This is an overall itinerary… Bear in mind we will be flexible, pending what the group wants to do.

Thursday August 4:
Drive into baja at 6am or as early as possible. Drive to bahía asunción. 9 to 11 hours, depending…

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday in asunción or wherever we decide to be.

Tuesday August 9 options:
Option 1. Relaxed morning. Then drive half way and cross into USA on Wednesday. I know a good safe camp area about half way to border. It has a restaurant, beers, and a patio.
Option 2. Stay Tuesday and get up super early on Wednesday to drive and cross the border late evening on Wednesday. Note that the the Mexicali border closes at 10pm. This option bears some risk of not making it across before 10pm due to military inspections. We can discuss…

The Mexicali border crossing hours are 6am to 10pm. TJ border is open 24/7, I think.

Things to Bring:

Passport… I know I know, but some have forgotten this.

Auto Insurance. Mandatory! There are different websites, but I use BestMex. Roughly $40-$50.

Health insurance is not mandatory, but sometimes a good idea just in case. My thoughts are that we are close enough to the border, that if anything happens, we can get across

We may need Pesos for local businesses in asunción. It seems pretty remote. Credit card shopping is not always available. We can plan to stop at ATM in San Felipe.

I would keep roughly $40 in your wallet. Keep the majority of your cash well hidden. There are instances of $ shake downs from local police.

I don’t think gas stations will be an issue for this trip… Don’t have to pack extra canisters. Use your own judgment here.

Plan to have a method to enclose everything in your rig or lock on rack… just in case we do day excursions where we leave vehicles unattended.

Terrain can be sandy and rocky. 4x4 with clearance is best. Bring tow straps and traction pads if you have them. I think we can figure it out a tow if anyone gets stuck.

Water will be needed if we camp away from town.
5 gallons for consuming, cooking, cleaning and showers. Cleaned empty Downey bottles make great post surf showers. They warm up nicely in the sun too.

Camping gear… Bring whatever you need to make sure you’re dry and warm. Can get windy and mornings can be cold. WARM CLOTHES. A winter coat and beanie are always worth packing. Just in case.

Surfing… I am not familiar with the surfing spots in this area. I am hoping for some south swell. A wetsuit is advisable. Water can be chilly. Bring wetsuit if you have one. Full suit is best. Booties (water shoes) are important to protect your feet from the reef/rocks.

Everyone bring your own chair.

Toilet, shovel, TP, wipes wipes wipes
Some places won’t have bathrooms. I think it is most respectful to bring bags to store feces. We can dispose of our crap/TP later in a trash container when available. I use a home depot bucket potty with biodegradable bags and kitty litter. Works great and stores the nastiness securely.

Food, drinks and alcohol can be purchased along the way. We can discuss… There are restaurants in asunción. Definitely bring a cooler if we decide to get away from town & restaurants. There will be chances to grocery shop for last minute items along the way, if we want.

First aid kit, basic medications to include Tylenol and ibuprofen. Anti-diarrhea meds and azithromycin are always a plus when traveling. Azithro can be prescribed by your regular doctor if you tell them about your travel. Antihistamines just in case.

And most importantly, bring some common sense. We will be in Mexico… This is not our country. Be respectful and the people are generally wonderful. I love the tranquilidad, but Mexican jail is no joke. We will do our best to travel during the day. Leave your illicits in the US. NO GUNS, NO DRUGS, NO MARIJUANA, and no bad attitudes. There are multiple military inspection stations along our route.

I think everyone is always worried about safety in the back of their minds… We will always travel as a group. (Unless of course you feel comfortable on your own). Keep an eye on others… If one person gets pulled over, we all pull over. Communication while driving can be a challenge. Everyone do your best to watch out for the others in the group. Mexico isn’t inherently dangerous, but we’re not citizens and things can happen.

What’s App has worked well on my northern baja trips for communication. But central and southern baja may not have as many towers. I have an international phone plan. Not sure if that is a requirement.

If I’ve missed anything, please feel free to chime in. I hope we have a good group. I’m sure it’ll be fun.

Peace.

@kmarsh26 @jasont @Medicfung @Semi @Firemanthreeo @etower @Snowbonk

Forgot to put these labels on my previous post. Posted update info.

Peace.

Hey Guys,
I will not make it, have a different trip planned with my brother. A few years ago when I went deep into Sonora we had to get a special permit for my vehicle. You had to provide proof of ownership and pay a fee and deposit, it was (~$400 cash only). You do get the majority back but during business hours.
Have fun and stay safe.

Huh. Haven’t experienced that yet. Have a good trip with your brother.

Peace.

Sadly cannot join this but have been to Baja and mainland Mex a few times via moto.

What @Semi is referring too is only required on Mainland Mex. not Baja. It is a deposit for your TIP and you get it back as long as you leave in the allotted timeframe.

Justin

Bummer. I’d love to see your westy. I have a soft spot for westfalias.

Peace.

1 Like

I like the plans so far. I may or may not be able to have the entire time off. I am still deciding because of other prior engagements I have scheduled. If anyone is also in the same predicament, let me know and we can figure it out. I wouldn’t be too comfortable driving down and back solo due to an unfamiliar area (meaning super south Baja). It’s still penciled on my calendar though! @GFC706 I will PM you my #

Baja is quite safe, IMO. Anything can happen anywhere. I think we have plenty of options. I’m flexible too. The most important thing in my planning post is NO GUNS, NO DRUGS, NO MARIJUANA, and no bad attitudes. If you follow that, the chances of having problems is greatly diminished.

Peace.

2 Likes

I’m not saying it’s not. It’s just outside of my non-Spanish speaking comfort zone to be driving solo that far in unfamiliar areas. Just personal feelings.

1 Like

Hey gfc706, thanks for the invite on this one, but it’s at the time my kid goes back to school. Hopefully I can join on the next one. Safe travels guys

So my days off are submitted. With the rest of my work schedule. It looks like I’ll only be able to take an abbreviated version of this trip, if possible.
@GFC706 brian not sure if you’ve had anyone commit 100% to this or not. I’d still like to find a way to make it down south.

I’m down. I think there’s another that wants to go after a July Montana GFC install. I’ll send you a message.

Peace.

Hi all. I’m still definitely interested in going to baja. I will again be in Montana getting some things done on my cabin. I’ll have limited internet. i.e. only when I’m in town… I will likely be slow to respond to trip interest. As soon as I’m back, plans can be finalized.

Hopefully people are interested, I think it’ll be a great trip.

Peace.

Did this trip go down? I just stumbled on the thread and man that looks like it would have been awesome. I was down with my family at Pescadero in Cerritos beach visiting friends that live down there, eating all that food, surfing (poorly), hanging in Todos Santos, and all the while fantasizing about camping with the GFC on some beach down there. Man i love the Baja.

1 Like

It didn’t work out. People are busy. Heck, I’m busy too. I’d still like to go on a GFC group trip to baja, though. It would be cool to eat tacos, surf, and talk campers…

Peace.

1 Like

I’m for sure going to be in Baja, NOV 17-20, mostly to spectate the Baja 1000 but plan to camp around. If anyone wants to join feel free!