Heaters in the camper

I used my motorcycle battery to start… Also bought the cigarette adaptor so I can run it off a Jackery.

1 Like

It’s fun, isn’t it? I don’t know anything about the mufflers.

1 Like

FYI: Looks like an affordable case-style diesel heater.
Review: Hcalory HC-A01 portable all in one diesel heater + bluetooth control || test / review - YouTube
Store: Hcalory HC-A01 12V 5KW Diesel Parking Air Heater Portable Toolbox bluetooth Remote Control Power Temperature Adjustable Sale - Banggood USA Mobile

No idea if Im doing this right… making progress or trash…

5 Likes

Hey chuck. I’m almost finished building my unit. Where did you get the better muffler? Do you have a link?

The one I’m building now has everything in a pelican box. I can show you my set up sometime. I think you’re in Portland right?

This is the one I went with. They are somewhat local to me. Kinda pricey when it’s almost half the cost of the heater! At least you get some nice sturdy clamps!

https://planarheaters.com/product/p24-021/

Here is my exhaust with the longer pipe and new muffler

3 Likes

I’m in denver so would have to make that a virtual viewing!

1 Like

I just have the all in one unit as I posted above. I’m in Denver if you need a visual.

I might take you up on that. Have you used it at 8-11k ft by chance? How did it perform up high?

1 Like

Honestly I haven’t touched the settings on it yet and have used it from 6-10300 with no issues.

That is really some high-quality work sir. Really. Do you “just” pipe heat to the lower area and have it rise to the tent/bed, or is it either/or?

I dig the horse trailer vent as well. It looks clean, and seems to solve the issue of “fresh air for the dog” in the back. Nice.

1 Like

My bad. Thought you were in my area.

It can go either way. I found unless it’s super cold it works best to heat the downstairs only, it creates a heated mattress effect and is quite comfortable. Piping the air in to the tent section aways ends up too hot for us.

As far as the hose trailer vent. The main benefit is how well it keeps the dust out of the GFC but using it for ventilation and heating is an added bonus. When they are facing into the wind when driving they pull in tons of air and create a positive pressure in the GFC.

My heater in a case is still undergoing to modification and testing but I will do a complete write up when I’m satisfied with everything.

1 Like

Cheap Chinese one with a super easy setup. I throw it in the black bin in the background of the first photo and slide it in the back when not in use. Sets up / breaks down in under five minutes and high enough to be out of the snow. Second photo I forgot the tire table but shows the vent routing. Nice and toasty down in the single digits.

1 Like

:joy: I had to do the same thing to my hose when I had my canopy. The hose scuffed the paint. I like the dryer vent move, that would hold the hose in more securely when you’re piping to the top.

1 Like

I wanted to mount mine on a tire step but couldn’t find any to fit a 13.5” wide tire.

Also looking at some type of sleeve for my heat duct. I was thinking about cutting up some kid size cotton pants or something :joy:. Just need a small section so it doesn’t rub the paint.

1 Like

Nice setup! I plan on doing somthing very similar with mine. Hadn’t considered paint scuffing from the hose…

Give me a shout when you are done, I’d love to take a look at it as I am in analysis paralysis right now on this topic. I’m wanting to get a heater for my rig but still a little unsure on which way I want to go.

Thanks!

1 Like

I got the standalone unit and ended up taking it apart and hard-mounting it. Only had to buy the base-mount to make the change. All the Chinese copies are very similar and are somewhat interchangeable for a lot of the components.

If I were to do it again, I’d get the below unit; seems a lot more refined as an external setup than the more prolific setup everyone sells. HC-A01 Diesel Heater, Handheld Toolbox All In One - Hcalory
Worst case, you make some modifications or you strip it and turn it into a hard-mount setup.

3 Likes