Heaters in the camper

:joy: I had to do the same thing to my hose when I had my canopy. The hose scuffed the paint. I like the dryer vent move, that would hold the hose in more securely when youā€™re piping to the top.

1 Like

I wanted to mount mine on a tire step but couldnā€™t find any to fit a 13.5ā€ wide tire.

Also looking at some type of sleeve for my heat duct. I was thinking about cutting up some kid size cotton pants or something :joy:. Just need a small section so it doesnā€™t rub the paint.

1 Like

Nice setup! I plan on doing somthing very similar with mine. Hadnā€™t considered paint scuffing from the hoseā€¦

Give me a shout when you are done, Iā€™d love to take a look at it as I am in analysis paralysis right now on this topic. Iā€™m wanting to get a heater for my rig but still a little unsure on which way I want to go.

Thanks!

1 Like

I got the standalone unit and ended up taking it apart and hard-mounting it. Only had to buy the base-mount to make the change. All the Chinese copies are very similar and are somewhat interchangeable for a lot of the components.

If I were to do it again, Iā€™d get the below unit; seems a lot more refined as an external setup than the more prolific setup everyone sells. HC-A01 Diesel Heater, Handheld Toolbox All In One - Hcalory
Worst case, you make some modifications or you strip it and turn it into a hard-mount setup.

3 Likes

You must be in the LA area! I saw these cases on Craigslist for sale and was wondering what Id be able to use one for! Nice!

Haha. Canada actually. But a surplus place near me has lots. $150, but they go on sale frequently for $75. The Harting cable door is like $60 alone so they are a pretty good deal for a legit Pelican wheeled case.

3 Likes

Im gonna have to go grab one now! Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

anyone use one of these? I donā€™t trust myself with making my own and this seems like a decent price compared to other brand names.

I ordered one of the IntoXAdventures heaters and ultimately cancelled my order and requested a refund after 6 mos without receiving it. I emailed at 5 months asking for an update and got the classic ā€œin 2 weeksā€ response, but it never came.

I ended up ordering the hcalory heater, which arrived about 2 weeks after ordering, but have yet to test it out.

3 Likes

Where in Canada is this surplus store?

1 Like

Princess Auto surplus section https://www.princessauto.com/en/21-1-2l-x-14w-x-9d-in-impact-resistant-case/product/PA0009064460

This is the Harting cable door they come with.

Those are at Princess??? I thought theyā€™d be at surplus Herbyā€™s, how could I miss those whenever I go in there. Iā€™m always looking for cases that could be useful. I do like having the fuel and heater all combined, but I love the concept of the compact size the case brings.

Took the plunge and ordered an diaphragm-style Silent Pump designed by James Brown Smith in the UK. Theyā€™re hand made by him, and should resolve my issue with the noise & vibration produced from the dosing pump.

Iā€™ll report back with results in 20 days or so (lead time is 10 days & 7 days for shipping from the UK)

If anyone is interested in ordering a silent pump, e-mail him. Information provided below.

"Hi Ron,
Thank you for your inquiry.

Yes I have several pump options now and they all have the anti siphon valve fitted. P&P to USA, Royal Mail International Tracked 5-7 days delivery aim is Ā£22

Please find all details below:

Silent Pump Configuration Options

Option 1 - NEW June 2022 - Silent Pump in black plastic IP54 enclosure for surface mounting inside. Fitted with anti siphon valve so can be mounted above or below the fuel tank. Ā£115 + pp

Option 2 - New June 2022 - Universal Silent Pump with rear facing dial/leds for mounting inside All-In-One heaters (please check dimensions). Fitted with anti siphon valve so can be mounted above or below fuel tank. Ā£125 + pp

Option 3 - Marine Spec Silent Pump in IP65 cast aluminium box to comply with marine regulations. Fitted with anti siphon valve so can be mounted above or below fuel tank. This version is also ideal for any external installations. Ā£140 + pp

• NEW 2022 - All-In-One Silent pump converted units for Ā£299 + pp or send me a link to a unit you would like converted for a quote? See attached pic of two unit examples.

Lead time is currently 10 days, sorry for the wait.

I request payment in advance to secure a pump build.

Payment method is Paypal: jamesbrowningsmith@yahoo.co.uk

Further details and pics attached:

Just three wires to connect. Blue-Neg to same as the burner, and Green and Yellow wires connect to your pump wires any way around. (Some systems may require a fourth +12v wire)

There is no standby power draw.

Works with 12v and 24v burners.

Can be mounted in any orientation.

Fully compatible with the Afterburner controller.

The dial on the top is for fine tuning (or quick altitude adj) as every bodies installations are slightly different. I will mark the dial position with a white arrow for a 5Kw burner for example running on diesel to give optimum heat and lowest carbon monoxide throughout. If for example you want to burn a different fuel then the dial can be used to increase or decrease injection quantity per pulse as well as the normal adjustments of fan speed and Hz in the burner controls. I can also set up for any size burner that uses a clicking pump, so just let me know.

Unlike the standard pump, this pump can pump any fuel without increased wear from non lubricated fuels like Kerosene. This pump can happily pump Diesel, Kerosene, Petrol, Paraffin, Jet fuel, without increased wear to internal parts.:slight_smile:

Silent Pump dimensions - IP54 ABS box. 145mm including tabs (120mm without) long x 80mm wide x 55mm high. The fuel trim knob adds 20mm to the height.

Universal Silent Pump dimensions - IP54 ABS box. 145mm including tabs (120mm without) long x 65mm wide x 40mm high. External anti siphon valve adds 30mm and barbed fitting another 30mm.

Marine Spec Silent Pump dimensions - IP65 Aluminium cast box. 150mm including tabs (110mm without) long x 90mm wide x 55mm high. The fuel trim knobs adds 20mm to the height.

1 year warranty and full after sales technical support.

Thatā€™s it. Any questions, please ask.

Check out Youtuber David McLuckie and his review and test of the pump:

and Foresty Forestā€™s installation of the Silent Pump: 4x4 Van Life in BC - It's Getting Cold! - YouTube

Best regards

Jamesā€œ

1 Like

Here is my latest upgraded version of a 5kw build.

And the build video is here:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been sitting on one of these for a while haha I need to install it!

2 Likes

I just ordered mine about 2 weeks ago. Looks sturdy and well built. Iā€™ve gone through a cheaper Amazon one but wanted something a little bit more well built.

2 Likes

Im mostly copying your design if thats okā€¦ im thinking about ordering your printed vents too. And our mutual friend Spencer says my progress is getting there haha.

I used a yellow harbor freight 4800 case and a 2kw heater. This is where Im at currently. I think i need to order a computer fan soon and get to some wiring. I probably could have done with with a smaller case and a smaller tank.

1 Like

The good thing about the bigger case is you may be able to fit your heat duct in the case. Thatā€™s the one thing I wonder about all these folks that have the kit built into three parts; tank, heater, connections. How do you store everything for travel?

1 Like

I store my muffler in the case but this is how I store the heater hose:

Oops, wrong photo. Here you go:

13 Likes