Heaters in the camper

Everything but my ducting fits into my harbor freight case and then all of it goes into a bigger rubber maid bin just to avoid diesel spillage in the camper.

1 Like

Yea a bunch of guys have ordered my 2kw kit and put on the 4800 case. Certainly leaves extra room for wires and ducting this way

1 Like

I did a close copy of your build. I actually ended up skipping the exhaust insulation since it seems to dissipate heat fairly well inside the box. I thought it was going to be a massive issue but it doesnā€™t really seem to be that bad.

I was just thinking about that aluminum duct plate. My 2kw heater has a 2.5" outlet. Im thinking about just buying the plastic 3" duct plate and running the duct hose through it, and into one of my bed cubbies (just to protect the edges, instead of running it through the cut part of the case). I will use that little air diverter in the cubby, to get the hot air into the bed. And figure out a way to block it off when its not winter, to keep dust/dirt to a minimum in the summer months

For the upstairs i might just use a dryer vent or ac vent opening to get the air ā€œupstairsā€. Id want one that is closeable, so my cushions can still be flat

Just wanted to circle back with some experiences. We ran the Planar 2KW heater for 12 hrs with temps in the 20s overnight, just to test power/fuel consumption. I ported the heat duct into a window in my 2 car garage for the entire test. At 1845 the garage was a cool 55 degrees. I ran the heater at 1/3 strength overnight and at 0700 the garage was 59 degrees, with a peak temp of 61 (which occurred a few hrs after startup, but before temps outside dropped).

The heater consumed 1/3 of the fuel in the onboard cell, so maybe 0.6 gals, and it burned 35-40% of my YellowTop (43Ah battery) - so roughly 15-16 amps of juice.

To me, this proves that a single fuel cell will provide 24-36 hrs of heat (depending on power output level) and even a smaller, cheaper battery will provide multiple nights of power to run the heaters. I imagine the Chinese models and others will consume accordingly, depending on their Kw rating. Cheers!

1 Like

I would be interested on your take on it once you get to try it out. Enjoy and stay warm.

Has anyone experienced ignition issues in sub-freezing environments < 0C [ 32F]? I had issues with igniting and it took a few attempts get it operational.

Background:

• The outside temperature was at itā€™s lowest -7C [18F]
  • Diesel #1
  • 5 kW Chinese Diesel Heater
  • Standard Controller
  • Diaphragm pump
  • Equal Length Exhaust/Intake mounted externally. Two minor bends on exhaust.
  • Copper hardline and hard polyethylene lines. 2mm I.D.
  • Fuel Pump is operated at no less than 2.5 Hertz and is periodically ran on high to clean out combustion chamber. Also, I run Kerosene every few tanks to clean out combustion chamber.

Given the temps, perhaps your fuel is starting to gel and causing issues? Have you tried mixing kerosene into your diesel, running straight kerosene, or a diesel additive for lower temps?

Iā€™ve been running straight kerosene in my 2kw Planar without issues. I know some forums have discussed the decreased lubricity in kerosene could be a problem down the road on the fuel pump, but Planar does recommend it (especially for higher altitude).

3 Likes

Iā€™ve run mine at -38c and it started fine. Perhaps air in the fuel line; Iā€™ve had the same thing happen when it would start to run low on fuel.

1 Like

Iā€™m running Diesel #1 which has a cloud point of -40C [-40F]. It should be very close to kerosene and considered interchangeable by most folks. This is my first run at using Diesel #1 instead of Kerosene/Diesel #2 (at the pump) to see if it was a good substitute in cost savings. Kerosene @ $17 /gal vs Diesel #1 @ $4.75 /gal around Seattle. Diesel #1 has 15 PPM sulfur so not worried about lubricity; and Iā€™m using a custom made diaphram pump so no worries on that front even if I use Kerosene.

1 Like

Thats some cold temps my friend. I did confirm no air was in the line and did a few prime purges to confirm. Iā€™m kinda suspicious of the fuel right now. I might take out a sample and stick it in the freezer to confirm it hasnā€™t gelled. Its suppose to be good to -40C.

1 Like

Yeah the only difference I could think of, is my tank is in the same case as the heater. So itā€™s pretty warm in the case. That said it all sat in the box of the truck that night for the drive out. But I highly doubt the drive was long enough for that bitter cold temp to permeate itā€™s way into the case and the fuel.

So you might be onto something if you have an external tank; but youā€™d think all the diesel trucks would be suffering the same fate. How long is your fuel line run? I know Mcrea (the youtube guy I think thatā€™s his name) advises against using hard line and the soft lines. But I think you got things set up to spec, maybe double check on the hardline.

How is the heater oriented? On its side?

This is how itā€™s setup now minus the heater hose being connected. Fuel line is probably less than 1 meter. I just followed Maritime regulations for plumbing the fuel line on the outside.

@Dignon Are you using a winter grade diesel or kerosene?

1 Like

@Ronmastas Iā€™m using dirty Petro-Canada diesel; theyā€™d be running a winter mix for sure. Thought of running kerosene on the next one; but then remembered the smell on my big dry bag for months after a lantern spilt on it.

Thatā€™s not the factory pump for the heater is it? If not, I would revert and see if you have the same problem.

1 Like

Itā€™s indeed the fancy one. Next time its cold Iā€™ll disconnect the output line from the pump and squirt it into a beaker and measure. Iā€™m just in denial itā€™s the pump :roll_eyes:. The original pump gives me PTSD just hearing it haha.

1 Like

@Dignon, If your running K1 Kerosene, itā€™ll be undenatured and have less smell than any diesel grade.

1 Like

I feel like if you spill diesel or kerosene youā€™re in for a smelly mess, doesnā€™t seem like much of a difference between the 2 to me in that respect.

2 Likes

What is everyoneā€™s thoughts on 2kw vs 5kw for the GFC. Will be used from 4000 to 10000 feet. Wondering if the 5kw will cook me out of the tent.

Depends, will you be recirculating the air or just heating outside air? If just outside air the 5kw is where I would go, recirculating 2kw. Really donā€™t want to run these only at their slowest speed to avoid carbon buildup. Also make sure to know how to reset whatever one you get for high elevation so you donā€™t end up fouling it out at 9k feet.

1 Like

For now the plan is to have it outside in a pelican case going to buy an afterburner controller for altitude adjustments.