Heaters in the camper

I have this one from Overland Addicts - Planar 2KW. It is perfect.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a pretty decent budgetā€¦

I bought one of the cheap Chinese heaters off of Amazon. I am actually pretty impressed at the volume of dry heat this machine can push out and with minimal fuel consumption. It cost in the neighborhood of $125 and was pretty easy to set up (install exhaust & air intake pipes). Way quieter than I imagined (almost zero exhaust sound). Came with an easy to use remote (ON, OFF, UP/DOWN [heat]). I have a 16ā€™ insulted duct/hose coming that will get the air up and into my tent. I imagine a $500 or $1000 unit would be even more amazing. Anyway, diesel heat is definately a game changer in my book (right up there with solar).

3 Likes

I have the same and been using this one over the fall so far. Works great.

We definitely planned the build for awhile. I put the GFC deposit down over 2 years ago and just finally pulled the trigger & picked it up this month. This timeframe allowed us to plan the RIGD components (arriving tomorrow) the one-step instant ā€œheater in a boxā€ and the solar rig.

I think the Chinese versions are also fine. I opted for the Planar bc I have a lack of mechanical skills, wanted minimal maintenance, and wanted something that would potentially have less buildup. I read the 2kw versions can be easier to maintain bc you can run them at 40-70% vs running a massively powerful unit at 10% and having subsequent buildup. In any case, easy and more pricey or slightly less easy and way cheaper = but get a diesel heater and you will be thrilled!

Interesting! Are you keeping the Unit outside of the camper when it is running? Or do you pipe out the exhaust?

I am keeping it outside (out of an abundance of caution).

1 Like

Same. The yellow box can just sit in a foot of snow all night, or on a little table/shelf with a Yakima Cable lock/simple strap to keep things safe from casual theft or wind gusts.

![image|666x500](upload://fP

30lQ8xwwlCwcQ1kBxqphrbOGr.jpeg)
Iā€™m still rocking a home built Chinese heater, running it hard. Two years running! Almost a full year with the GFC. Ran it before though the window on my canopy.

2 Likes

I am sure it has been askedā€¦

But what power source is everyone using for their heaters? Is any one using a power station like a Jackery 1000 or similar?

My reoccurring problem when I go down the heater/100ah battery rabbit hole is that I find myself spending ~4k to build a storage cabinet, inverter, charge controller, lithium battery, solar panel, heater, etcā€¦ Then Iā€™m approaching used Four Wheel Camper Shell territory.

It would be really nice to just buy a power station and a heater in a box and be done with it. Be able to remove when not in use, etc.

2 Likes

I have used my goal zero 1400 for multiple days to run mine in the past.

But I do have an onboard battery and solar that I usually use.

1 Like

For me, Iā€™m on the 100Ah battery program and I donā€™t regret it. I am actually going to go the opposite route to your description. I originally had the heater as you see it; but Iā€™m going to do a significant mod and mount it permanently.

Over the last two weeks Iā€™ve found the novelty of portability has worn off. I want to be able to just pull up, turn the power on, pop the tent and go! Hooking up all the crap in the external setup is just becoming tiresome.

4 Likes

Why do you need an inverter? 100AH lifepo battery is under $350 these days.

Purchased ours from Mainline Overland and run it from a GZ Yeti 1000x.

Easily couldā€™ve saved some money and built something, but decided to err on the side of caution and let a professional handle the build on this one. We absolutely love it, works flawlessly every time and no issues at altitude so far. Running it all night uses about 8-10% of the GZ per day. And at this point, the ā€œnovelty of portabilityā€ hasnā€™t worn offā€¦yet.

1 Like

I feel that, so tempted to see if I can mount mine inside the passenger fender well somehowā€¦ Iā€™m not adverse to putting holes in my bedā€¦

the heater came with a cable that ends in ring terminals, so for now Iā€™m just packing my optima yellow top. Itā€™s very simple, runs for many nights on a charge & I can also connect it to my solar panel to top off if Iā€™m worried. When not using, I just pull both units and drop in the garage. I could also power from my goal zero 500x, but see no need. May eventually do a battery box with all of the ins-outs, but not short-term.

Inverters are, in my opinion, unnecessary for most people. The CLA port, or multiple USB, will suffice. I am more interested in a DC-DC connection so the battery inside the box can charge from either the running alternator OR the solar panel. The red arc kit from CEP plus a $200 solar rig from renogy is my likely solution. Under $1k, then add whatever battery you have around. Eventually add 100Ah lithium and now youā€™re at $1600-1800.

2 Likes

And this is all preference- but I like removing my rig between trips somewhat. I want an empty truck bed when not out on a big trip & the diesel heater is only necessary for a portion of the year in our region. All subjective.

2 Likes

7 mins before, 7 mins after, each trip. I think the modular aspect works really well for us.

I clipped off the ring terminals and put on APP connectors. Nice and easy to plug into the GZ.

Here is how mine is mounted! @ScottH and I spitballed ideas on exhaust.

Used it prob 5-6 nights so far. @psymmes loving my bag btw!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s rad. Not gonna lie, I did order some 12ā€ 3M double Velcro strips and Iā€™m hunting down dirt cheap bags online to make my own ā€œmounted storageā€ for $20. Hah.