Heaters in the camper

You just need this stuff and it doesn’t matter if your exhaust is sealed properly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reefer madness

3 Likes

Great idea! I might need to borrow this, as Im getting to ordering my last pieces of my puzzle

2 Likes

That is some funny shit! I wonder if it really works!!!

1 Like

Where are you guys getting the soft flexible tubbing from?

I just got this and hasn’t fallen apart yet.

1 Like

I cut a 7” strip off one of our square panels and covered it with outdoor fabric. We have an XL width so still plenty of room for two. We were always looking for a spot for water bottles, phones, and stuff too big for the roof storage. But I added the AC Infinity USB vent fans to help circulate some warm air from below similar to @benawheeler.

The original cushion cover is just folded into itself so you can add the foam back and go full width if needed. It’s also nice to just leave the little section out as I have seen others do in the past. When I’m solo I just leave the entire square open.

6 Likes

My 2kw heater uses a 2.5" outlet.

1 Like

Ready for power and fuel, and a test prime

2 Likes

FINALLY, got the diesel heater fuel pump DEAD quiet! No more pulsing noise or vibration from the pump. Loudest thing now is the fan and heat blowing through the ducting; which is a nice white noise. A true luxury, well worth the $160. Some pictures below of it installed.

New Pump, hand made by James Smith in the UK.

Installed

Also, I noticed when I was snow camping with the heater, I could feel drafts of cold air ingressing from all inside the Tacoma bed. I decided the easiest thing to do was try to seal up the holes with HVAC foil tape. The 1st gen Tacoma has a ridiculous amount of holes inside the bed! I decided on using the less aggressive adhesive foil tape with acrylic adhesive instead of the permanent Butyl adhesive (incase I decided I wanted to spray a bed liner later on).

So many holes under the bed rails.

Sealed up!

Addressed the air gap on the bottom of the tailgate. Bought some reinforced chemical resistant Buna Rubber sheet, and bonded it with some 3M VHB double-sided tape.

Tailgate sealed up.

That’s it for now.

4 Likes

Ok figured out a couple things…

The controller sucks. Too many menus, not enough instructions. Every time I thought I figured it out, it would throw a code. PITA. I want to switch the controller to a knob one that is simple. Plus the LED lights are not bright enough for me. (Might sell some left over parts soon if anyone is interested)

Something is smoking, but it could be the exhaust wrap. It eventually stopped.

There is an in/out for the fuel pump/correct way of positioning it.

In my setup, i need more airflow. Ordering a 12v computer fan when I order the controller.

Last step is to order a hole saw to route the ducting into my bed. I have a few plastic elbows to help get it in.

I think I have $150 on top of the price of the 2kw heater, and including the HF case. Not too bad.

Great long weekend of winter camping in Wyoming. Only people there for days! Sketchy as heck drive home with 50mph winds icing over the roads. Truck was sliding like crazy.

Heater worked great. Cooked and played games and it was upper 60s up top. We did turn it off to go to bed but slept toasty in our 15 degree down bags.

Walls were a bit iced over but over all happy.

13 Likes

Where in Wyoming is this? Absolutely stunning, I’d like to visit when I go out there soon. Cheers

Was just about to ask the same thing. Only so make lakes in Wyoming…

@Bimmerlev @MattS

Haha, I had the same thought and reactions. Girlfriend on Wednesday night found it looking at GoogleMaps and suggested it. It is Alcova Reservoir. We didn’t see a single person all 3 days. Plenty of organized sites on the water but also quit a few we found on BLM land above the reservoir we almost explored. Chose not too since we were alone

1 Like

I thought for sure it was Flaming Gorge, looks just like it.

You folks see what @WileyDavis just through into his Clifford the Dog sized F350? This wood stove is so rad.

1 Like

You probably would never ever be able to open a side panel ever again but I would love to put in the heater they use in the alu-cabs…. The Dickerson one and route the chimney out the side like what @WileyDavis did

4 Likes

Have you had the chance to use this heater much? How has it held up?

I built a diesel heater in an apache case and it works wonderfully! I don’t need it in the camper year round either so just easier to carry when needed.

12 Likes

Hey all,

Looking to add a diesel heater for winter ski trips. Has anyone used the Xventures heater?

Would love to hear thoughts on it or if there are other options I should look at for in the same price range.

Thanks!