Wood Stove Is The Hot Ticket!

First overnight test. Had 22 mph wind gusts all night with a low of 17 deg F. Stayed nice and toasty hanging out downstairs reading book and drinking tea. I don’t run heat overnight but having warmth to hang out in and a preheated sleeping bag is hard to beat.

The whole thing stows into a tote when not in use so I can still use the full truck bed when not camping.

47 Likes

It’s even more rad than I imagined, Wiley :face_holding_back_tears:! What’s the setup like for the chimney?

2 Likes

That’s a slick setup man!! I love this!

Sweet. I’d love to know how you did the chimney. I’m comparing the GFC Platform to the AluCabin Canopy Camper for which there is a factory accessory to vent a propane or wood stove.

oh man, this is amazing ! Would love to see the in-depth build-out if you have time!

2 Likes

Chimney was pretty simple. i used this stove jack meant for installing it a tent wall:

Just cut a hole and bolt holes in the panel and bolted it in. When the stove pipe isn’t installed I just plug the hole with a 4" PVC cap. Not the most elegant thing in the world but it doesn’t leak and is easy to set up / take down the stove. Inside I used two 45 degree elbows to make the 90. There’s a double wall section where it passes through the silicone boot, then another 90 degree elbow. i stabilize that with a piece of steel cable hose-clamped to one section and looped around the beef rack and tent strut.

When the stove is packed up, the side panel can be opened and closed as usual.

I positioned the stove in the front corner so the chimney would clear the tent roof and not be right alongside the tent fabric.

2 Likes

If you mean wood stove specific I might make a quick video of the setup. As mentioned above it was pretty straightforward. Way easier than a diesel heater install.

If you mean interior buildout then you might be disappointed :slight_smile: My buildout is literally nothing as I like to keep the truck bed free of anything permanently installed. When camping the load varies depending on what I’m doing. For this trip it was just a quick overnight to get out of the house. So I threw in the recovery gear (maxtrax and a bag of straps and whatnot), a plastic tote with all the woodstove parts, a rug, a dog crate with blanket for the pup, some firewood, axe, and folding saw to cut the firewood in half (the wood stove is shorter than most split wood). A solar-powered string light, 10 degree sleeping bag, and a bear-resistant food barrel.

5 Likes

Can’t beat simplicity! My setup is way more complex and I sometimes miss simple. I do have a dedicated truck for camping though, so it’s not like I have to load and unload stuff.

2 Likes

What type of stove did you get?
Packable seems like a nice feature

1 Like

The stove mostly seems like a nice and easy solution.

Did you ever make a video on the setup? I’m be been looking into a small wood stove for mine since it gets below zero for 6 months and a dry heat would be a necessity for any winter camping. I am trying to find a way to dual purpose the vent hole. I’m j winter use it for the wood stove exhaust and in summer use it as a mess vent to allow air in/out for the dog at night.

I haven’t yet. Once cooler weather kicks in I’ll put it back in the truck and make a video. The stove is very nicely made though. It’s perfect if you’re staying put. I almost never camp more than one night in the same spot though so it’s gotten less use than it would if i was posting up somewhere for a whole weekend.

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that your camping wood stoves worked well for you, even in the cold and windy weather. I can imagine how cozy it must have been to hang out downstairs reading a book and drinking tea with the warmth of the stove. It’s great that you can store the whole thing in a tote when not in use, so you can still use the full truck bed when not camping.

For camping, consider a portable wood-burning stove like the Winnerwell Woodlander. It provides warmth, preheats your sleeping bag, and is compact for easy storage in your tote when not in use. check for link for diffrent list of wood stove manufacturers