Heaters in the camper

Great long weekend of winter camping in Wyoming. Only people there for days! Sketchy as heck drive home with 50mph winds icing over the roads. Truck was sliding like crazy.

Heater worked great. Cooked and played games and it was upper 60s up top. We did turn it off to go to bed but slept toasty in our 15 degree down bags.

Walls were a bit iced over but over all happy.

13 Likes

Where in Wyoming is this? Absolutely stunning, I’d like to visit when I go out there soon. Cheers

Was just about to ask the same thing. Only so make lakes in Wyoming…

@Bimmerlev @MattS

Haha, I had the same thought and reactions. Girlfriend on Wednesday night found it looking at GoogleMaps and suggested it. It is Alcova Reservoir. We didn’t see a single person all 3 days. Plenty of organized sites on the water but also quit a few we found on BLM land above the reservoir we almost explored. Chose not too since we were alone

1 Like

I thought for sure it was Flaming Gorge, looks just like it.

You folks see what @WileyDavis just through into his Clifford the Dog sized F350? This wood stove is so rad.

1 Like

You probably would never ever be able to open a side panel ever again but I would love to put in the heater they use in the alu-cabs…. The Dickerson one and route the chimney out the side like what @WileyDavis did

4 Likes

Have you had the chance to use this heater much? How has it held up?

I built a diesel heater in an apache case and it works wonderfully! I don’t need it in the camper year round either so just easier to carry when needed.

12 Likes

Hey all,

Looking to add a diesel heater for winter ski trips. Has anyone used the Xventures heater?

Would love to hear thoughts on it or if there are other options I should look at for in the same price range.

Thanks!

I have this one from Overland Addicts - Planar 2KW. It is perfect.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a pretty decent budget…

I bought one of the cheap Chinese heaters off of Amazon. I am actually pretty impressed at the volume of dry heat this machine can push out and with minimal fuel consumption. It cost in the neighborhood of $125 and was pretty easy to set up (install exhaust & air intake pipes). Way quieter than I imagined (almost zero exhaust sound). Came with an easy to use remote (ON, OFF, UP/DOWN [heat]). I have a 16’ insulted duct/hose coming that will get the air up and into my tent. I imagine a $500 or $1000 unit would be even more amazing. Anyway, diesel heat is definately a game changer in my book (right up there with solar).

3 Likes

I have the same and been using this one over the fall so far. Works great.

We definitely planned the build for awhile. I put the GFC deposit down over 2 years ago and just finally pulled the trigger & picked it up this month. This timeframe allowed us to plan the RIGD components (arriving tomorrow) the one-step instant “heater in a box” and the solar rig.

I think the Chinese versions are also fine. I opted for the Planar bc I have a lack of mechanical skills, wanted minimal maintenance, and wanted something that would potentially have less buildup. I read the 2kw versions can be easier to maintain bc you can run them at 40-70% vs running a massively powerful unit at 10% and having subsequent buildup. In any case, easy and more pricey or slightly less easy and way cheaper = but get a diesel heater and you will be thrilled!

Interesting! Are you keeping the Unit outside of the camper when it is running? Or do you pipe out the exhaust?

I am keeping it outside (out of an abundance of caution).

1 Like

Same. The yellow box can just sit in a foot of snow all night, or on a little table/shelf with a Yakima Cable lock/simple strap to keep things safe from casual theft or wind gusts.

![image|666x500](upload://fP

30lQ8xwwlCwcQ1kBxqphrbOGr.jpeg)
I’m still rocking a home built Chinese heater, running it hard. Two years running! Almost a full year with the GFC. Ran it before though the window on my canopy.

2 Likes

I am sure it has been asked…

But what power source is everyone using for their heaters? Is any one using a power station like a Jackery 1000 or similar?

My reoccurring problem when I go down the heater/100ah battery rabbit hole is that I find myself spending ~4k to build a storage cabinet, inverter, charge controller, lithium battery, solar panel, heater, etc… Then I’m approaching used Four Wheel Camper Shell territory.

It would be really nice to just buy a power station and a heater in a box and be done with it. Be able to remove when not in use, etc.

2 Likes

I have used my goal zero 1400 for multiple days to run mine in the past.

But I do have an onboard battery and solar that I usually use.

1 Like