Heaters in the camper

Picked up my GFC XL on my 2012 Tundra a couple days ago. I live here in SWMT and our cold is like…really cold. I would like to try it camping this winter at ski areas. Biggest issues I see with most setups is that if they have the heater outside some of them are just exposed to the elements. If I am sleeping at a ski area it’s hopefully dumping snow.

Thinking of buying a large diamond plate box from harbor freight and mounting it to one of those hitch mounted gear haulers.

Have the entire heater and fuel in there and exhaust out the side. Basically the same concept as the pelican cases but a little more overkill.

Then build my own insert/side panel for the GFC that I can have the heat pipe come into the bed area and naturally let the heat rise up into the tent area. I don’t want to just heat the tent as I would like to have some ski clothes drying and have a warm place to make coffee etc in the truck bed in the AM.

4 Likes

Doing the same thing, check out my build to see how I pipe my heater in using a faux tailgate.

Your plan is legit and will enable you to use the tailgate to cover the heater. Usually I put the heater under the tailgate but I haven’t been able to find the right length of heat duct to do that.

Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place (your 2014 RAM build thread) or I’m going blind. I see how you fed the heater hose in on your old topper but not on the GFC. Is there a picture posted that I missed?

LOL, maybe I don’t have that picture up there.

There ya go :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Have you ever ran it off a solar generator like a yeti or ecoflow?

This time last year, I managed to externally package a Propex HS2211 behind my bumper and routed the ducting above the frame rail and up into the side of the bed. Exhaust routes to the edge of the rear bedside and intake is plumbed up above the frame cross member for the spare. Super tight fit, had to move a bunch of stuff around and clearance the bed pinch weld, but everything works great. 2018 ZR2 long bed, relentless rear bumper w/ swing out, so no spare underneath. Propane inlet comes out of the “R” logo next to the license plate. Also recently added the digital thermostat, which is worth the money. 100x better temp control and a countdown timer for semi automatic startup. Recently camping in high 20’s/low 30’s with it running at 70° and she averages about 15AH for the night and ~3# of propane.

15 Likes

super slick set-up!!

2 Likes

Love my cheap diesel heater. Don’t want to mount it permanently in the truck but did want to run it in the bed to heat the area and recirculate the air. My plan today and tomorrow is to build an exhaust that will run out from the passenger wheel hump and down using one of these

and having it go straight down then out. That way when I need / want the heater I can just set it on top of the exhaust port connecting it with some of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CKRR5XG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 and be good to go with my all in one unit. I will get some pics once it is installed… Still have to figure out a cap for the exhaust when not installed but that shouldn’t be hard

1 Like

Correct… I really could have worded all of that better.
I basically have this heater https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09H5JJM7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1
and am just plumbing out the exhaust, I usually run it on Kerosene as it is less stinky if spilled and evaporates away better. While I know it costs more I appreciate those aspects enough to pay the difference. I also usually transport it in a Rubbermaid container just so that if it tips etc it doesn’t spill and only comes out when it is going to be used.

1 Like

This is the most amazing set up I’ve seen yet!

2 Likes

Testing the hole in the floor (not a wide enough area on the side) when done it will just sit flush against the floor and back wall

2 Likes

When I get around to my heater, I’m going to get a snap on/snap off port that I’ll install on the side panel as to keep the heater on the outside… an example of what I’m thinking is this ( not my set-up) circled in red. It does mean I’ll have to pull out the hole saw and void the warranty but I think this is the cleanest way to do it and still be able to pipe the heat in

9 Likes

What brand is that trailer?

Well it works as I had planned. Exhaust just goes under the truck but not too worried

Due to the direction of the silencer I did put another weep hole in

My straight connection shows up tomorrow but this will be a tidy package for when I really need more warmth and to dry things out.

1 Like

Any plans to wrap the exhaust with exhaust tape? i know its right by the truck’s exhaust so its already hot in that area but I’ve seen how some f them get red hot due to the material they use

Not as of yet… but its not a bad idea… I usually only want a heater when it is single digits so I dont know if it will need it or not…

For anyone interested, that heater setup was developed and is sold by Yona Adventure Gear. I believe the owner said he was opening the website up tonight for additional orders as he just got through his backorder. He’s also developed a “Tent Vent” as a passthrough for the tent portion.

8 Likes

No Idea… I told the owner to chime in here so maybe he can help you with that.

edit: @MBBME beat me to it

I had sent a join link to the owner, not sure if he ever joined. I do know that he’s also trying to sell his current setup and possibly grab a used V1 for his Tacoma.

ummmmm… we are not talking about that at the moment… also no-one will notice until next year at the soonest

1 Like