Heaters in the camper

A lot of people don’t think it’s safe to have an all in one in an enclosed space. You want the heater’s exhaust to go directly out with any connection made outside to avoid a leak inside.

2 Likes

The trailer is a BADAC trailer, they are made in OK. My buddy lived in one with his family for something like 8months traveling the country. Everything he learned during that time is put into these trailers.

3 Likes

Welcome @YonaAdventure! Glad to see you on here!

2 Likes

Thank you! It looks sick :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Awesome, and made 20 minutes from home.

Thanks for the great tip.

Curious if anyone has had any clever hot air routing ideas with heater in bed but air directed into the tent portion. (Besides removing a cushion or heater outside with hose into tent window/door which seems common).

I saw one set up where the guy cut his smaller panel down by 6 in on one side to fit a board drilled with 2’ holes to allow hot air to come up.

1 Like

I was actually thinking about making a duct that would come up into the short end of the wedge. Don’t really need much padding up there so a flat duct that has a 3 inch quick connect through the floor and a wood or metal (both) duct about 2 inches tall 8 wide. Maybe one on the other side as well or shorten a pad for return air…

1 Like

I have a V1 that has a “factory” hole in the front platform - semi tempted to put a small hole in each front corner and make a cushion that has corners lopped off to allow the air to pass through. Though I’d need to ask them if that poses any kind of large structural threat I guess. Some of those CDH come with a heat outlet pipe with 4 small ports - could pull two off and feed them to the corner holes.

Btw anyone know what that hole is for that came on the front left of the V1platforms?

1 Like

That hole is to allow wiring to pass from the bed to the tent.

Ah I thought so. Didn’t know if it had some super specific GFC thing I didn’t know about

Pass thru wires I will!

Brainstorming ways to get heat directly into the top without one of the squares pulled out. What about making a couple of 4 inch holes near the outside edge and porting through with a 4 inch PVC flange (as pictured) so I can just have the 3 inch hose come in and up when needed otherwise it’s just small hard open area where you don’t usually put your body… or it becomes a yeti bottle holder at night…v

Thoughts

2 Likes

My thought here is to cut through the cushion and install this through the cushion and fabric. Kinda like this but instead of a cupholder it’s a passthrough

Looking at it it may even be better to put it on the tall tent side near the corners. If using the passthrough just have that corner be the cold air return and the other the warm air. (My fridge is on the driver so that would be my hot air side and the passenger side the return)

1 Like

Ok so I have been creating my ports in the last couple of days. So far so good. Allows a 3 inch hose to pass through easy enough and at the tall side of the tent they are fully out of the way.

Also added some Velcro at the bottom of all of the doors. Guess I need insulation next baha

20 Likes

This is what I’ve been looking for so we can run the diesel heater up from the bottom instead into a tent window. Got a link to where you bought the parts? Did you just cut a hole in the back and install the through piece?

Honest question here…
I have an electric blanket that works very well to keep the sleeping bedding warm on even the coldest nights. I generally use the electric blanket when I have access to electricity. I also have a Honda generator that I believe could run the blanket just fine if it was cold and I was off the grid. Additionally, I can run it underneath the truck in wet conditions or if i want to hide the generator behind a tree 30 yards away, I can reduce the noise that i have to listen to at night time.
While I do understand that the heater warms the entire space that it’s plumbed to, which is an advantage. There is also potential condensation and simple heat leaks that could affect the situation. It also is apparent to me that there’s some necessary setup modifications, potential dangers of exhaust contamination one must mitigate, and an additional fuel that needs to be carried in addition to extra gasoline if you’re already carrying that.

Also, the heaters seem like a one trick pony. At least the generator provides electrical power in addition to powering my blanket.

Please post the thinking behind these diesel heaters and why they are an advantage. Maybe I need one and I just don’t know it yet.

Peace.

3 Likes

There’s no condensation when running a diesel heater, at least not in my experience. It puts out a very dry heat. Another benefit is drying wet gear, if that’s ever an issue for you the blanket isn’t going to help there.

Not being argumentative here, but I could likely use my cab heat for a bit if I needed to dry gear in a pinch, I suppose.

Peace.

Sure, anything is possible. Doesn’t sound like you need or want one. :+1:

Just curious what the folks running diesel heaters are using for power? Auxiliary 12v batteries? Portable battery similar to a Jackery or Goal Zero?