Heating your units 🔥

Has anyone ever floated or thought of how to safely heat these units in the cold? Thanks

I put in a proprex heater, works great:

2 Likes

Nice color! #Quicksand

Are you guys heating so that you can hang out downstairs? Or heating to sleep better/drier at night? Or?

For hanging out, I guess my downstairs isn’t really comfortable in the best of conditions.

in my case, both

There’s some diesel heater installs on Tacomaworld forums. I haven’t looked too closely, but going out the compartment area seems to be one way.

I installed a Propex heater and cut two 5 mm thick reflective foam panels into triangles to fit the sides of the tent. When not in use, the panels lie flat on or under the matress. I vented the heater intake and exhaust lines through the floor at the rear of the truck bed. The Propex heater is under a flight deck style raised floor. The foam is the product below that came from Amazon. These two things have made a huge difference in cold weather comfort. In sub zero temperatures the upper tent can stay 35 to 40 degrees and there is no significant condensation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSX1K4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_pY2NWL49ltptN

What model propex did you use? Thanks

I use the Propex HS-2000.

1 Like

thanks guys! as we head into fall, then the season of death, although wonderful snowboarding does occur, I have been pondering how to heat my GFC ?
I ordered a Propex heater and will fit some reflecto foam, in the tent, as well as the door panels, and may make a sort of truck box liner with more insulation. I figure to run one heat outlet up top and one below. I’m no winter camper, but that should make a nasty fall evening much more pleasant. I also made a three panel heat reflector for campfires or our little Bodum barbecue. got to keep my old self warm !

1 Like

Any pics of the 2 foam triangles? Did you also do the ceiling? How do you keep the foam triangles in place? Velcro?

Thanks

I have attached photos of the foam triangles. They extend four feet back from the front edge of the tent area. They are held in place with velcro. The adhesive on the velcro is a mess in summer heat so I think I will change it to secure them at the top edge with magnets and a metal plate attached to the inside edge of the roof. The panels are crude, but surprisingly effective, in part because you are not directly against the frigid tent wall when you sleep in subzero temperatures. The little knob and string you may notice in the photos are unrelated to the foam triangles. I use the string to hold my Exped sleeping pad up next to the roof when I am not using it.

I installed an Espar in my Jeep when I had it. The pros: put out insane heat. Very efficient. Tied right in to my stock fuel tank.

Cons: cost. Invasive install process, as you have to cut into the vehicle. Takes a lot of time to install.

I had the gasoline version with automatic altitude adjustment. I don’t regret it one but, with my new truck, I don’t think I’d want to cut into it.

1 Like

@enjoitheride many of us feel the same way and resorted to either buying an external version or building our own. I built my own case and it works great with a false tailgate. I live in the boonies so when I’m ski touring I don’t worry too much about security…because I’m the only one around. Lol.

I’m likely going to re-build mine using 8020 extrusion to make it more serviceable and packable.

I got a all in one and made some ports for the intake and exhaust that are usually covered by my bed mat so I can put it in and remove it as I feel. Also added some ports through the tent floor for air tubes. Works amazingly well for me as I also use the truck for truck stuff so everything needs to be removeable in the bed area :slight_smile:

1 Like

I installed a Chinese diesel heater and it works great. Have an XL with a decked system. Goal zero yeti 1250 to a dc/dc charger that tops off the battery while driving. Used in Bunk mode 1.5wks ago in MT and WY. Temps were 5F and i was toasty. Ran all night for two nights and 3gal tank never moved off of empty. Probably could get by with an even smaller tank.

2 Likes

Just for the fun of it, I think I will try an electric radiator heater in my 2021 PowerBoost, F-150, LOL. I’m also thinking about using a microwave with it. Gotta make those 2400 watt outlets in the truck get some use!

Of course since I don’t want the truck actually running all night, I’ll use my Buddy Heater.

2 Likes