Help planning road trip Denver to Belgrade to San Diego

I get to pickup my camper this Sunday afternoon! I’m thinking of heading out of Denver driving to Buffalo WY, and dispersed camping either in the back of my bed (5’) or setting up a tent. It splits the drive pretty evenly between there and Belgrade.

After the install in Belgrade heading down to SD CA. Yellowstone NP is closing all but one road on 12/15 so heading south through YSNP and GTNP is out. I can drive and hike Monday and Tuesday, but I need to be close to civilization for wifi (I don’t have enough time off work). So I was thinking going through Salt Lake to St George. Does anyone have recommendations for boondocking, dispersed, free camping that I should hit that I can also jump into town for some work and near decent hiking?

Outside Buffalo, I would start here. 44.31811, -106.86852 Stayed there one night in July when I was headed up to get my hinges replaced. Not a bad location. Huge open field, lots of others spread out there. If you are out of time, just stop at the coordinates, if you have a bit of time, go explore a bit more and you’ll probably find a nicer spot.

Between SLC and St. George, I would direct you here. 39.06139, -112.19221

1 Like

Forgot to add…on the way down to SD, I would stop off at the Sawtooth Canyon BLM Campground, especially if you are a rock climber.
34.67126, -116.98412

Thank you for the suggestions! I’m an aspiring rock climber, so I’ll look at the rocks and wish I had climbing buddies, gear and skill.

I’ve free for all camped just north of Joshua tree, that though JT is fantastic the spot I was at was open and no where near as gorgeous as Sawtooth Canyon looks.

Oct. 2018 trip there… that rock blocked me off from most of the other campsites and was fun to clamber up, it was a great spot.