Help! Wired tail light to third brake light now truck won’t start

Yes this has happened to me. “stop” fuse was blowing every time I hit the brakes. Disconnected the GFC brake light and problem went away. Tried to replicate when I got home but couldn’t. I carry extra fuses now.

Do you have a push to start Taco? Also did you re connect the GFC third brake light?

Yes I have the push start feature. I did reconnect it when I got home but everything was normal.

Good to hear everything is normal. Picked up a 10 pack of fuses.

Still blowing fuses! Anyone else having this problem or is it just me? 10 amp Stop fuse keeps blowing out. Is there an alternative to wiring the GFC third brake light?

Sounds like maybe you’re either not grounded properly or one of your wires is getting pinched somewhere.

Have you seen @2ayne’s how to? How To: Wire 3rd Gen Tacoma 3rd Brake Light

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the polarity is reversed in the light or at the wiring quick connector on the light cord.

Try putting a multimeter to the leads of the third brake light to check for continuity which is shouldn’t have.

2 Likes

@LostDblCab @2ayne

Was there a definitive answer to this? It sounds like a big issue; I am going to wire the 3rd brake light soon. I will be following @2ayne’s guide.

He never did reply back to let ya know.
I’m assuming at this point the truck burned to the ground with him in it.

4 Likes

That’s a fair assessment!

Possibly the culprit.

I have condensation too and mine is fine.

They are supposed to be waterproof.

This is the link Mike sent me. These are the lights they use.

Amazon.com

1 Like

Is the light both a running and brake light? Thanks

Just a brake light but I’m sure if you purchase one elsewhere it’ll have 3 wires. The GFC ones have 2 wires.

1 Like

try putting a 15amp fuse in there. It did the trick for me

1 Like

It did the truck for what ??? Can you explain please?

it was a solution for continuing to blow the fuse for the rear brake light

1 Like