Hoist and Lifting Lugs to Remove Camper

I like to remove my camper in the winter so I can throw a snowmachine in the bed. I built a pulley system in my garage for one-man removal (basically a beefed up rip off of a Harken Hoist). I originally built this for my old fiberglass topper so the pulleys aren’t exactly where I want them, but it works pretty good!

I use the hoist to lift it off, then set it on 2x4s underneath to take the some of the stress off the aluminum extrusions (and for extra safety factor since I park my truck underneath it). Also allows me to lower it back down to open it up and dry out.

Just some hardware store pulleys, paracord, and a boat winch.

Access to some CNC would make the lifting lugs a lot prettier, but a jig saw and drill can get the job done too!

Added some spacers so I could use 1/4-20 t nuts. Lugs should be able to handle about 2000lb - I believe the t track would rip out before the lugs would fail. They also make great tie down points when throwing the canoe up on the beef bars!

9 Likes

Nice! Any reason you didn’t mount the lugs lower so that the top isn’t relying on the hinge and locks to hold it on?

1 Like

Great question - if I were to do it over I would make them taller and mount them on the lower extrusion.
Honestly I was just trying to minimize the material I used. And leave the lower t-tracks available to slide around other future attachments. I didn’t think the upper extrusion would flex as much as it does - and I didn’t really think through the fact it would put stress on the hinges and locks.

1 Like

Nice!

I just use pullies at each corner. They are attached to the gfc with cord looped through the convenient v1 holes.

2 Likes

That’s fair haha I like the idea though and may steal it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

First let me say - I agree that suspended loads can be super dangerous, and I do not stand underneath my GFC until I string up the 2x4s underneath for extra support. Looks like adv_riggs had a similar idea with some webbing straps.

That said… aluminum is a lot stronger than you might thing. I’ve spent a fair amount of time playing with 80/20 and have always been impressed with how strong it is. But once I saw how much the extrusion flexed under load I got a little concerned and actually ran a few calcs (I’m a mechanical engineer and a bit of a nerd…). These extrusions are custom, but pretty similar to 1x3" 80/20. Modeling it on 80/20, each extrusion should be able to hang ~750lb. T-nut tear-out for 1/4-20 should be somewhere around 500lb ea. Disclaimer, these are just some napkin calcs, so don’t take my word for it - be safe and be cautious.

1 Like

Good Mechanical Engineer! I always say 1/4-20 is good for 700Ibs of camping force.This is in shear and it’s extruded so :man_shrugging::warning:.
How are the V2 RTT attached to the lower frames on this? If I remember correctly on my V1, the RTT looks bonded to the steel tube frame. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I say do what GFC does at install because they know their best. just my $.02

1 Like