Holy condensation! possible roof fan question

I finally got my Maxx fan installed, just waiting on the hardware to fasten it down. I did a few things differently compared to the others. I also plan on modifying it by adding a reverse switch. I really like how slim this model is even if It does lack on some features.

• External wiring modification. I used a waterproof cable glad and water tight conduit to run power along my solar tray. This “hides” all the wiring on the inside. I also ran the power to my rear facing Baja Designs S2’s that sit up top to provide a “street light” over my camping area.

• I also added an “upstairs” USB and 12v junction box. I have a Sirocco II Elite brushless fan that I modified to use Ram suction mounts and a cigarette plug so you can use it anywhere. This sticks to the ceiling and gimbals to blow air wherever. I have a plug upstairs and downstairs it’s super quiet and way more efficient then the Maxx fan. Afterthought, but this fan alone probably would be sufficient.

No AC but definitely lots of airflow options.

6 Likes

Damn im going to replicate your sirocco fan idea! I love it!

Can you post more photos of the 12v panel upstairs and what is is mounted on/into? Thanks

Just stole your double zipper idea for the rear door venting. Great idea. Will be testing it tomorrow night in single digit temps.

1 Like

Sweet! I look forward to hearing how it works for you!

Correct. It’s a PVC junction box with the BlueSea in the Lid. It doubles as the pass through for all the wiring to the upstairs. I actually cut the top layer of the panel and inset it as much as possible.

The main downside is you cannot slide second panel for storage. I was thinking to notch it out so it sits flush but I just put it on top of the front cushion and that works fine.

(Photos before I notched the panel so the box sat lower. I also cut the pipe sockets off.)

3 Likes

It’s Model 0004401M same as used by others in this thread. From what I could find it was the most slim model available. It’s pretty simple having only 4 speeds, no remote or auto open. But you modify it for reverse flow very easy with a 3 way switch.

As for the trim piece it’s excessively long (6” or so) but it’s designed to be cut down as required. The actual fan body requires no modification but I trimmed the side flanges off about 3/4” so it would match the inside trim but that is only cosmetic.

2 Likes

Did a test, night one no bottle, 2 old guys single digit temps. Walls and everything else so much condensation. Front corner windows open… night 2 diagonal cross venting with a bottle in the upper corner of the back door single digit temps. Minimal condensation. I think this is a winner

1 Like

Hello Folks! I’ve been following this conversation intently as I’ll be getting my V2 installed in a couple weeks. While I’m sure the powered fans solve the condensation problems, I’m wondering about a lower tech solution that splits the difference between the powered fan and the zipper-mod with plastic bottle approach.

I found this livestock trailer vent and was wondering if there would be enough room to accommodate the interior portion of the vent mechanism? From the schematics it looks like it has about 3” depth on the interior portion of the vent. Is there room for that with the tent closed?

Thanks in advance for any input.

1 Like

If you’re gonna cut into the roof, might as well go the whole way and put in the maxxair or equivalent. Seems as if it’s been proven

1 Like

For the inside trim I found it gets hung up in the corners. I just notched those out about 1/4”. There are unused inset threaded holes in the corners that prevented the trim from sitting flush.

I understand this perspective, and that may be ultimately where I end up. That said, I prefer to keep it simple. If I can solve the problem without adding more wires, power consumption, or noise that is a better solution for me.

They are definitely easy to find things to make to justify it. The CNC plasma is even worse. I fixed the light shade in our house with 1/4 plate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I cut two of those same vents into the side panels of my camper. I put a post up with pictures where you can see how far they come in. The roof is thicker so you might have the bottoms stick out a little less but they protrude in a lot. I’d think you’d have to take out your mattresses or at least suffer having them push into the foam a lot. They are great vents tho and seal up nicely.

Thanks @CEM, I appreciate your input. I tracked down the thread with your photos - vents do look nice installed in the side panels. I may give this a try in the roof but I’ll wait to actually take delivery of my V2 to get a better idea of how much space there is under the roof and can better evaluate how bad the condensation issue is in the cold.

I’m excited to finally get this thing on the truck but need the resist the urge to solve problems I don’t even have yet…

1 Like

I think it is safe to say that most everyone on this forum built and re-built their camper several times during the final days, weeks and months leading up to that glorious day that the camper became ONE with the truck. Most of us are probably not known for our patience. So… what are ya gonna do???

It’s a fun ride!!!

1 Like

This might be a dumb question and obvious if I had my GFC open and could look at it. Is it any big deal to add the second zipper head? Do you have to do any disassembly of the zipper to add it?

Thanks in advance, also to @Evan220 for the idea.

2 Likes

It was pretty easy to add the second zipper pull. If you don’t use one of these Amazon.com then you would need to disassemble some sewing on the bottom of the zipper pull to put the new one on.

I did the disassemble method as those are a little bulky but I also failed to put the zipper pull on the inside since I didn’t have a double sided pull so be aware of where you put the zipper pull as I now have to make sure I do the bottle trick when I have access to the outside haha…

Got it. That makes sense as I was poking around on how to do this I saw those 2 piece zipper pulls. I’ll have to pop mine up and get a look.

Thanks!

Well, here’s the big question for me now. Next time I visit Seattle do I rent the really comfy AirBNB on upper Pike Street or… do I just see if I can stay in Phil’s GFC!!!