Holy condensation! possible roof fan question

@2ayne, thanks for posting about your build. Couple questions for you if you get a minute:

• How did you choose the Maxxair over the Dometic? Happy with that choice?
  • Any issues driving on the highway with it mounted backwards?
  • Did you leave the gap you cut in the panels at the width you showed in your video, or have you cut it more? I know some people are cutting the full 12" so they can have it on when the top is closed - have you gone that route?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

1 Like

No problem man.

There where a couple reasons why I went with the Maxxfan over the fantastic for this built. Iā€™ll list some
comparisons.
-Same 14x14ā€ mounting footprint for both fans.
-Same CFM
-Both alike models had a 1ā€ minimum mounting thickness. (Even though our roofs are 1/2ā€ it still works.)
-The Maxxfan has two metal lifting arms for the lid and a manual lock to hold the cover down where the dometic does not.
-The Maxxfan is 1.5ā€ lower profile than the Dometic.
-Maxxfan was a lot cheaper when shopping around online.

I have not cut anymore out of my panels. Iā€™m pretty happy with the 2ā€ chop off each one.

I assume the only reason people want to run the fan with the tent down is because of dogs in the back right?
Donā€™t forget you canā€™t drive down the road with the lid/cover up on the fan. Haha.

Oh also, I havenā€™t had any issues with mine on the highway so far. Probably put 5-7k on the truck since install and been at 90mph a few times and in wind.

I did however do something stupid and glue the locking knob for the fans cover on because it was plastic and kept falling off.
It got stuck to the fan face and then snapped off later when I tried to open it. I contacted Maxxfan and they had the replacement part out to me for free in just a few days. Easy to service these fans in place.

4 Likes

Maxxfan Mini adds 1.5ā€ to the roof height.

4 Likes

Look like there is glad wrap (or similar) on the fan lid. Why?

1 Like

Haha. Thatā€™s when I first cut the hole I set it in and snapped a pic.
It still had the shipping protection paper stuff on the top. Haha.

1 Like

Thanks for the photo! I guess I made the wrong choice buying the Dometic, ha! Itā€™s noticeably taller.

A pretty lengthy fan conversation went on here when we decided to cut roofs a while back. Try starting on
page 25 or so, maybe.

1 Like

im thinking of offsetting the fan to the right so i can leave one panel out and vent with dogs in back. anyone think of why that may be a bad idea?

4 Likes

Someone did that on the drivers side rear.
Canā€™t remember who it was thoughā€¦ :thinking:

BTW. Update on the trip. No condensation with windows cracked in 18-19F first night. Went with one window cracked and one closed the second night in 30-32F and no condensation either. Seems that if the ambient temp and humidity inside and outside the roof/tent are the similar then there is nothing to condensate. Again this was just 1 person. When I had two people and a dog and both windows closed the condensation was unreal, but also dogs will add tons of humidity into a space this small over the course of a night. My two cents is depending on your goals and where you live it can be useful, but in a northern based climate you really wonā€™t use it much unless you plan on heating the whole place with the windows closed and cooking inside it etc. I use my gfc like I use a floor tent just a little more flexible in what it can do.

3 Likes

This is my plan as well. But, Iā€™m going to use a marine fan with built in solar and battery. My dog stays in a kennel in the bed of the truck and when itā€™s humid - everything is drenched.

1 Like

Iā€™m planning on fitting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407CK5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even solo camping with the windows cracked leads to a lot of condensation for me (tent fabric v2). Itā€™s not unmanageable - I wipe the entire interior down with a microfibre cloth when I wake up - but itā€™d be nice to reduce it.

1 Like

Why that one and not the Maxxfan like the rest of us did? Just curious.

1 Like

I bought the Dometic fan and found it gigantic. I figured I can try this first and if it works, Iā€™ll stick with it. If it does, Iā€™ll enlarge the hole and put a Maxx fan in its place. I prefer the smaller, simpler footprint.

2 Likes

I think that the Maxx Fan is overkill.
If you can use a 6" hole saw it would make the installation easy.
A 6" hole weakens the roof a lot less than a much larger square opening. When itā€™s shut the leading edge is sloped thereby less likely to get hung up on an obstruction plus not likely to blow open inadvertently. More aerodynamic profile too.

100 CFM < 900 CFM :grin::dash:
Not sure youā€™re going to notice enough air movement with one of those especially if youā€™re trying to cool off the tent in the summer months like I do. Iā€™ve been running the Maxxair for 5 months now. No issues. Hasnā€™t blown open going 100 or anything. Roof doesnā€™t seem to mind at all either.

1 Like

Give it a try though. Whatā€™s to lose? Like you said you can always make the cutout 14X14ā€ if you find itā€™s not enough fan for you.
Iā€™m curious to see how it works out for ya.

1 Like

Figured I would add some photos. Not sure Iā€™ve shared any on here yet of the fan.

12 Likes

that is awesome, putting that on my list of mods when mine is finally done

@2ayne, is this the model you got? https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Maxxair/MA00-04401M.html

I noticed in your post that you said it only extends 1.5" above the roofline, but for some reason the shortest I could find was 2 7/8".