Holy condensation! possible roof fan question

I think I meant that the Maxxfan is approx. 1.5” lower profile at 2 7/8” above the roof than the Fantastic Fan which says online that it sticks up 4 1/2” when closed.

“-The Maxxfan is 1.5” lower profile than the Dometic”

So technically it is 1.63” lower than the Maxxfan, correct?

1 Like

Ahh gotcha, cool. Really just wanted to make sure I was getting the right one. Thanks!

1 Like

The weather here has cleared up for the day, so I am going to go for it and install the fan. @2ayne, did you use a jigsaw to cut the hole? Would you have changed anything about your install that you haven’t mentioned yet? Thanks again for all the info!

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Ended up cutting a hole in the roof with a jig saw and a fine wood blade, which went well. But then it started raining…

Now I wait.

1 Like

Yep. Measured a lot. Taped the roof and drilled holes and used a jigsaw. It cuts super easy.
Only thing I would change is put shorter screws in it. Mine were too long because I bought them when we thought the roof was 3/4” thick instead of 1/2” thick.
I also did mine on the street in the rain. :rofl:

Great minds! haha. Yeah, I saw your post about the screws, so I went with 3/4" screws with tee-nuts like you recommended.

1 Like

Fan is physically installed (not wired yet). Ended up offsetting it toward the driver’s side so that I can run with one of the smaller panels out and still have the fan operating with everything closed up.

7 Likes

What solar panels are you running? Awesome setup!

I am using 100w flexible renogy panels held on with vhb tape. So far they have been bomber.

4 Likes

i was thinking of the same, when you take the panel out, does the tent material get in the way of running the fan or just hang down into cab?

I purposefully positioned the fan to where the fabric should not get in the way. It was a tight fit to get between the panels and not hit the fabric, but it works.

2 Likes

Awesome dude. Glad it worked out for you and I could help somewhat.
Running the fan with the tent closed will be great for dogs and such. Can’t wait to hear your input on the results you get.

do the maxxair fans stick down inside the camper when installed? or were you able to get it to sit flush?

although the maxxair has less sticking above, it almost looks like it has more below the mounting surface. so it if doesn’t sit flush, i’m wondering if the fantastic fan might sit more flush inside the camper…

I confirmed with Maxxair the 4301K, 4401K, 4000K and 4500K all share the same dimensions.

looks like Maxxair goes for the Low Profile base which has less sticking above the roof, while the Dometic has a High Profile base which will lead to less below the mounting surface. I have an email over to Dometic to grab some dimensions… but that’s what i’ve gathered so far.

Fan-tastic 1208 model is a clamp on version… less holes in the roof.

and looks like there’s flat hood options out there… looks like there’s other Fan-Tastic branded models out there, but similar hoods… https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Flat-Replacement-Lid-for-Fantastic-Fans-p/vts-2150.htm

little comparison out there on high vs low profile, http://www.rvvent.com/pictures.htm

How sure are you that the “clamp in” fan will clamp to a 1/2” thick roof?

The Maxxfan Mini sticks down maybe 1/2” max just around the fan screen guard which affects nothing.

I would rather have some sticking in the camper than above the roof. There is more than enough space between the tops of the 2” mattress and roof with the new tent material when closed.
I even have a 1” ram ball mount bolted into my fan shroud that holds an iPad and it still closes fine

1 Like

zero confidence that the clamp in would work perfectly with the 1/2" roof. Would probably have to create a spacer out of wood so it has a solid clamp…

seeing options out there for a flat style hood on the dometic might be a good option to limit the amount inside and reduce the high profile outside.

but that doesn’t look bad sticking inside with your Maxfan. Does the trim piece have a gap between the roof and the trim?

Yes it does. The trim piece is difficult to get to fit.
Literally too hard for me to explain in text.
But if I were to screw it into the roof and get shorter bolts I could get it to sit flush but it doesn’t bother me.
Have you read through the Tacoma World GFC Mods Thread where @STravis and I first chopped our roofs?

You could always make a new picture framed shaped trim ring and through bolt the fan like I had originally planned.

Dimensions of the Fantastic fans… the 1250 for example is a high profile design. i confirmed they do have a flat lid option you can warranty out, as well as a lock kit available.