Honeycomb panel replacement with a half sheet of paneling

I would like to replace one of the panels (25”x25”) with a 12.5” x 25” panel that is similar in height to the ones that come with the GFC.

The concept is to pull a square that rests near the rear of the truck and replace it with basically a half sheet of the honeycomb plastic. This is so we can simply slide down thru the gap at night without pulling a full square to get out.

We use Big Agnes mattress pads that are 25”x 78”and it gives us that one extra foot to put all our things that will need to be upstairs for the night. One side becomes storage and the other side I would like to use for ingress/egress.

I don’t want to use lumber because it is much heavier than the plastic panels.

Where can I source a small 12.5”x25” panel?

Would a panel alone be strong enough to support doing this or is the aluminum bracing that is used on the other panels mandatory for this little panel?

Has anyone done something like this on their own GFC?

You could cut your existing panel in half - is there a reason you wouldn’t take this approach?

I hear you on plywood, but a sheet of 12.5"x25" 3/4" plywood might weigh 3-4 pounds, and the panel <1 pound (guessing), so it’s a small difference in the grand scheme - same as adding a few bottles of water.

Just something to think about, I definitely understand weight concerns. Might not be as big a difference as you think.

I would rather just keep the original panel as is. I agree the weight isn’t too much of a deal but the downgrade from the space age honeycomb to wood might kill my cool factor. :expressionless:

We would use the full panel in the winter for a little more insulation and to have all original parts still available might prove handy someday.

Thanks for the response.

I’ve been considering cutting one of my panels in half for a while. I figured I’d hold onto 1/2 and tape it back together if I wanted/needed the full piece again.

1 Like

I bet you could order a piece from GFC

The original panel is likely Plascore. The problem is that you usually need to buy it in full sheets, with shipping.

You could potentially find scrap material like this on eBay

1 Like

That is a good idea as well. I was really hoping to keep the original piece intact thought.

The plywood or engineered plywood route might suffice.