How do you remove mantis claws from a ladder? And does anyone want to buy mine?

Sold my GFC a while back but have still been using the ladder with the new four wheel camper. The ladder has died and it’s now garbage but I don’t want to just throw away the mantis claws. How do I remove them?

Once they are removed is anyone looking to buy a used set that has some scratches but still totally functional?

If you figure it out, I’d be interested. I believe there’s a video on the GFC YT channel for those.

I sent GFC an email, hopefully hear back soon.

The video shows how to install them but doesn’t mention removal. There is a pin that clicks in to lock them in and I’m not seeing how to release that pin.

Hi @dfinn!

This is Robbie with GFC customer service.

The mantis claws are held in with a pin that drops into a channel in the mantis claw. The pin can easily be retracted by pushing back the little black tab on the back/underside of the ladder (closest to the top). Hold back the tab while simultaneously pulling out the mantis claw.

Oh, and @KitchenSupports is correct, you’ll want to stay calm and create a safe space for the mantis to live in after being removed from the ladder.

Best,
Robbie
GFC Support

1 Like

Hey @GFC_robbie, could you clarify which little black tab you’re referring to? Is it the sliding tab to unlock the pin on the first rung down from the top? If so I’m trying that and it’s not releasing the mantis claws.

At the very top I do not have a sliding tab, there is just a rivet where the tab would be, I’m kind of thinking you’re suggesting there should be a sliding tab here to release the pin?

Hi there,

It seems like you have an older version of the ladder which doesn’t have the sliding pin. I wouldn’t recommend trying to uninstall the mantis claws by removing the rivet.

You should be able to unbolt the assembly from the top, then use a narrow screwdriver to lever the pin closed before pulling out the plug section of the claw. Simply add blue loctitte on the bolt while reassembling and you’re good to go.

Robbie

that worked, thanks Robbie!

@jasont they are all yours if you want them. Shoot me a message and we can work out a deal.

1 Like