How much should we be charged?

I just want to clarify that I’m not looking to get this for free, just that I think the pricing is a bit too high for something that should have been included from the get-go.

Part of my thinking here is that GFC, most likely didn’t just decide one morning to start adding them to the campers because it was a cool idea. I’m sure it came about because enough people brought it up, asked about it, mentioned the need for a “vin” or build number that was affixed to the camper somewhere to placate their respective insurance requirements or even police reports in case they got stolen, which I know of at least one.

It doesn’t even have to be in that upper corner, but it should be at least a factory plate somewhere. I could just go to the mall and get a dog tag made and rivet it to the interior of the back wall but it’s not “original” or factory” just like I can’t write down my truck’s VIN on a index card and put it in the corner of the windshield and have it be accepted as proof

Yes, I know VINs get stolen, scratched, grinded off, and whatnot all the time, it’s that initial documentation that makes all the difference

3 Likes

Thanks for the patience and putting this thread together. Adding a serial number had been a thought of ours for awhile, but it first stemmed from transferring ownership when a camper was sold. The goal was to make it easier to identify each unit while keeping a service history on hand for new owners.

It took some time to get this process sorted, and we didn’t want to burden customers with a higher cost by outsourcing to an engraver here in the US. So in typical GFC fashion, we eventually bought a laser engraver, and came up with the end caps you see today.

@Wild_Mitten is spot on, and the ordering process is simple:

• Submit a service request form for your end cap.
  • We will then send you a $50 invoice.
  • Once paid for, we will ship the end cap and hit you with a tracking #.

Hindsight is everything and we wish this was a day 1 additional to each camper, but that’s the rub as a company scales. We’re doing all we can to improve daily, and that takes precious bandwidth. But feedback like this is rad to see, so keep it comin and we’ll act accordingly.

3 Likes

I’m glad to see some progress being made but when I got my invoice after inquiring into this a month and a half ago…. There was nothing mentioned about actually shipping my existing cap back to GFC…. This is my daily driver…… leaving it exposed for at least two weeks isn’t my cup of tea…

It should be set up as it’s printed on a new cap and shipped upon receipt of payment …… then upon arrival, it’s installed and then the old cap is shipped back and you can refinish and reuse…… let’s say, charge 75 and then return 25 once you get the old cap back…… consider that as a deposit

2 Likes

Just edited that previous post as we’re sending new end caps for that reason. Sorry for the slight mixup!

2 Likes

Boats fabricate their own when needed. They can be worth tens of millions. If it’s good enough for Lloyds, it’s good enough for regular Joe’s GFC insurance company. Not really another option for us V1ers.

2 Likes