How’s the camper for everyday life?

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a GFC camper for my 2020 F250 Tremor, but I have one last question in my mind. Will it be a PIA or a hassle during the times I’m not adventuring with it? Like during daily driving, parking garages, etc? Any advise? TIA!

Public parking garages may require some attention. Make sure you know the height of your rig with the camper. Home garages are a gamble because you won’t know the height of your rig until you get the camper. Safe bet is add a foot to your current truck height for the home garage. I think the actual height increase is closer to 9". Verify with the GFC folks.
For all intents and purposes, the GFC is basically like a topper. Don’t do an elaborate buildout and you have plenty of space in the bed for whatever everyday activities you want to throw at it. Daily driving has not been a problem for me. Again, its just a large topper. My GFC has not been a PITA for me. It barely fits in my 8 foot garage door on my slightly lifted tacoma. YMMV.
Good luck. Do your research beforehand. Make sure its what you want before you commit. There’s always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat…

Peace.

3 Likes

My truck is also my daily driver, I have a build out. I did it in a way that I can still carry materials, garbage, furniture, etc…. So I’m able to use my truck as a truck. My wife hates driving it around because she’s terrified she’ll have some bad luck.

4 Likes

Mine is 100 percent a daily driver

3 Likes

100% full time work rig and adventure vehicle. Don’t leave home without it.

2 Likes

I use mine('19 Ranger) everyday as my personal break room with tv, fridge, microwave and stove. It has never slowed me down. the only real issue I have is it has the aerodynamics of a cardboard box. Winds have been gusting 50+ here lately and it throws me around. The camper has never stopped me from using it as a truck except for getting mulch and topsoil by the yard and it comes off for that

definitely watch your height on a F250, my little ranger can’t fit in my garage

2 Likes

Everyday use is great for me. It is actually bigger inside than a topper as it is a bit higher so you can stuff a ton inside if needed. Like others have said if you don’t build out the inside it is still a truck, and you can even power wash out the bed if needed.

1 Like

Gen3 Ford Raptor with camper. It’s my daily driver. Love it. It’s ready to go for emergencies, adventure, and daily life.

Zero difference between a conventional topper and the GFC as far as day to day life.

You will need to be conscious of the added height. My truck no longer fits in the parking ramp at my work so I have to park a few blocks away but that’s a trade off I can live with.

Similar to what the others have said. No negative impact to daily life outside of additional height, and that is an infrequent hassle. I specifically chose the GFC for it’s light weight and slim profile as I frequent Pacific NW 4x4 trails and we have lots of trees round these parts. No problems so far!

1 Like

I daily drive mine. It was already big as a stock truck (‘22 Super Duty Tremor), so I went into it already unable to fit in garages or small parking spaces.

Overall, I have mine setup to be super flexible for non-overlanding / camping use. I have Decked drawers + a front molle panel and use those to store things without taking up flat deck space or needing to cram stuff in the cab. My fridge and slide are easily removable, since they’re mounted to airline track.

Negatives are things like minor reduction of gas mileage due to added drag, some wind noise, and maybe not being able to haul very tall items…but that’s what my trailer is for.

3 Likes

Best topper ever. Plus I can sleep upstairs if I need to. That’s what makes it a GFC. Keeps my truck a truck.

1 Like

Y’all are a compelling bunch. Ordered.

2 Likes

TBH this is the best topper ive ever owned for everyday use, having the tent built in and the overall weight below 300lbs makes this an easy topper to drive around with. Having access thru the side doors to get to gear is life changing if youre coming from a fiberglass topper with out windoors. But even then, its still way more room once you pop it open to access stuff than thru a windoor.

2 Likes

I am loving these Ford full sized build outs! I have been driving ford trucks for work for the last 14 years and hate them. But all these nice looking Tremors and Raptors have started to cause real emotional confusion.

I have to speak quietly or my Ram will hear…shhhh

4 Likes

Is there a big decrease is MPG? I know GFC says about 1 MPG loss, is that about right?

I saw a 3 mpg drop on my Ram 1500, but I think most people see 1-3 depending on how slippery your vehicle is pre camper.

Two mpg for my tacoma… But that’s major when you go from 16 to 14 mpg. Ha!

Peace.

100%

I just smashed my solar panels on top of my GFC 3 days ago because I drove into a parking garage like an idiot. No damage to the camper, but I have to spend $400 on new solar panels.

My Gladiator is like 6’10" with the GFC and solar panels.

As far as MPG, I didn’t notice any drop in MPG. My Jeep is already shaped like a brick and it’s a diesel.

1 Like

Yeah. Don’t do that.