How To: Wire 3rd Gen Tacoma 3rd Brake Light

The little cylinder piece that taps and screws into tail light wires, any idea where I could find replacement ones?

I’m sure if you reach out to GFC they can provide you with some more or refer you to where to get some.

I think they are called posi-tap connectors

4 Likes

Update: the fuse kept shorting and causing my “brake override malfunction” to turn on (which in Tacos can apparently cause your truck to just shut off completely even while driving). Truck is at the dealer now and they’ve determined that it’s an issue with the GFC LED light causing the short. Hoping I can get a new light to self-install from GFC and fingers crossed that will do the trick.

Anyone else have this issue?

Here’s a plug and play option with out having to tap into your wires.

1 Like

Hey guys! In case anyone is intersted I uploaded a video wiring the third brake light on my 2019 Tacoma. Hope it helps - Jonny

4 Likes

I did this mod and now my Blind spot monitoring is not working. Anyone else?

Did you tap into the OEM wires?

Hey thanks for the video. Just gave it a watch and it really cleared things up.

I followed these instructions to the T (I think). Now though, the GFC light and passenger side brake light are working but the brake light I tapped into is not. I didn’t blow a fuse, anyone have a similar issue? Thanks

J

Did you check the connector going into the back of the light? Wonder if it may have wiggled loose some with moving things around to tap the GFC light.

Yeah checked the tightness of connections, not sure what I could’ve done.

Same thing just happened to me, have you figured out the fix yet?

It turns out in my case, when I tapped it in and turned the lights on, it just blew the bulb out on my brake light, so check that, otherwise I’m not sure!

Hi All -

Thinking about ordering one of these to make it simple, but dont have my GFC yet. Can any one help…would I need regular or with parking light?

“The regular harness provides brake and ground. A second option adds the green parking light wire”

I believe you would just need regular. The GFC just has a brake light, no running light.

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate it.

1 Like

This is tempting. I really do not like the quick splice connectors…

FYI all, I ordered the quick connect I posted above. Got my brake light hooked up last night. Took a about 10 min max.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if plug and play 3rd brake light adapters for a Gen3 tacoma are available? How can I get one?