I have a problem with projects

…I can’t stop doing them!

So I have plans on selling my GFC and just running a soft topper with a tent extension. The Topper Tent is the only one on the market that I like, but can’t justify spending $300 on that right now. Until I feel like dishing out that kind of money, I figured I would make my own with a $30 tent from Walmart. I have it pretty much all mocked up, just need to sew velcro on the sides and tighten up the floor under the tailgate. I know the GFC opening is a lot taller than a softopper will be, but that shouldn’t matter, it’ll just drop the floor area under my tailgate more. But for now I will be testing it out until the GFC is gone.

2 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile: :smile:

I relate. Especially any project involving my truck or GFC.

1 Like

I rather try to make it before buying it! So far I haven’t had to buy anything ive tried to make myself first :joy:

2 Likes

Softopper with tent extension was one of my setups. It failed miserably on the first trip lol. Your pics look like it will do amazing though.

1 Like

What issues did you have? Was it the tent topper V1 or V2? I heard they made improvements with the new one, like thicker material

I tried to make mine out of an old tent. My Velcro was good but it needed the poles to keep the shape. It would have large gaps so it wasn’t fully secured. Ended up using a blanket to drape over the opening covering the tailgate completely. Worked fine for a couple winter trips.

1 Like

Currently getting all my velcro glued down with fabric glue. Hopefully it holds, I guess we will see!

1 Like

Finished it! Works perfect!

1 Like

The Hest on a cot is unbelievable!

I’ve been following your mods since I first joined the forum. You have been a fantastic inspiration! I’m sorry to hear you are selling the GFC! If your GFC mods are any indication, your DYI tent will be better than anything you can buy!!

1 Like

Wow! Came out so good. :clap:t4:

1 Like

I really appreciate that! Thank you!