Install road trip- campground recommendations in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho

Planning a week long trip install trip late May around Montana, Yellowstone, the Teton’s and Idaho before heading back out west to seattle. Having never been out that way I’d be curious to hear recommendations for good spots to hike and camp, either in BLM areas or campgrounds.

Hyalite Canyon South Road is an option for hiking and primitive camping. Make your way to FB and search for “Friends of Hyalite” to get additional information and trail report. There is an annual closure beginning on April 1 to May 16. The Bozeman Hot Springs campground is a great option if you’re interested in soaking in the hot springs.

1 Like

I would check out Craters of the Moon national monument (they have campsites there) in Idaho. If you like caves, make sure you bring long pants like jeans and a somewhat thick shirt to crawl through the Lava tubes. Its the largest basaltic Lava field in the US and there are 25 lava cones there. Very cool place. a bit off the beaten path.

In Jellystone, the best fishing hole in the world can be found at the bottom of the Yellowstone Canyon on the Seven Mile Hole Trail, which also has great views along the Canyon Rim, if you don’t want to go and actually camp down there and fish. On the rim, Silvercord cascade is where you can turn around if not going all the way down. It’s an easy trail up to there. You can start at Glacial Boulder, right by Canyon Lodge area. Be aware, the trip down and up is wicked…

1 Like

I did my install trip over 3 days back and forth from Ellensburg, stayed at a couple nice state parks, Beavertail Hill on the way over and Missouri Headwaters on the way back. Reservable on the state parks website. With more time the Yellowstone/ Craters of the Moon loop back is great fun, I did it last year, Moose Crossing RV park in MacCay Idaho a good spot near COTM.

1 Like

Thanks for the timely recommendations! I pick up my camper on 15 March & will check out these campgrounds. I’m coming from Port Orchard, WA.

1 Like