Insurance Declaration

Huge brownie points for anyone who can help me out. My local State Farm agent is asking for an example on how others have their GFCs covered. They’ve escalated it to their higher ups and nobody knows what to do with this thing since it doesn’t have rigid walls (?) and isn’t a slide in.

I’ve asked around quite a bit, did searching, asked Customer Service, etc. Not having much luck.

Massive thanks in advance… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m insured through Progressive and I believe they’re calling a travel trailer with the GFC build number as the serial number.

Interesting… I really hope I don’t need to go to a different provider just because they don’t want to bother. You have a separate policy just for the GFC then?

My company added all my modifications (lift, winch, GFC etc) to my existing policy. They asked for the original cost of each item I added. Hope this helps.

Lots of posts on this already. Some good information for sure.
https://forum.gofastcampers.com/search?expanded=true&q=insurance

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a separate policy just for the GFC. I think it’s like $140/year which adds up but is better than something happening to the camper and having to eat the cost.

I have Farmers, they wrote it up as a seperate policy, $50 deductible, and full replacement cost payout.
It is $12 a month
I will see if I can find the info packet they sent me on how it is listed.

I have State Farm and they advised me that because it’s not an “RV” (no kitchen or bathroom) that it’s covered the same as a truck topper. They took pictures and notated it on the policy with the purchase price and it’s included in the rider for the accessory coverage I have on the truck (Bumper, Winch, etc).

It added like 8 bucks a month to my policy premium.

1 Like

I have usaa. I was told in the past that the GFC would be covered as part of my truck coverage if I’m in an accident. I just tried to get a specific answer about coverage from usaa. They transferred me around 4 times to get my question answered, but I just kept hearing that they cannot answer hypotheticals. Evidently it’s impossible to tell me what my policy covers without existing damage.
That makes it impossible for me, the consumer, to adequately assess if I am adequately insured. I suppose that’s how these insurers want it… delay, defer, do nothing. I’ll be at their mercy if and when I have to file a claim unless I choose to pay extra for a GFC specific policy. But, even then, who the heck knows what they’ll actually cover on that policy.
I should’ve gone to law school…

Peace.

3 Likes

@GFC706 - I also have USAA for my Super Pacific X1 and USAA fully covers the X1 under the umbrella policy for my Taco since it was <$10K. I’ve always found USAA to be incredibly awesome when I’ve had issues.

1 Like

Thats good to hear. USAA was unwilling to say that. I hope I never need to find out.

Peace.

I have State Farm as well, and questioned the agents response of “its covered with the current policy”. I asked two more times to also clarify its value…Ironically, some bonehead decided he wanted one of my gear boxes in the back…and smashed the rear window out…State Farm sent me the replacement cost check without any questions. Hopefully that’s all that happens to it! Thx and good luck!

1 Like

I have SF, also. That’s good to hear.

My USAA insurance document explicitly states that “vehicle has one or more camper(s) which is covered by this policy”. When I was adding it, they asked for the retail pricing and told me that it would be covered at ACV. The trick is getting them to list it as a camper and not a topper. Never call it a topper or a tent during the conversation.

4 Likes

Sounds good. I suppose it doesn’t really matter what we call it, an adjuster would make the final determination as to status as a camper or a topper. It is what it is. I’ve decided not to worry about it. I ain’t sellin’ it. I’m going to enjoy it.

Peace.