Is the GFC right for me?

I’m seriously considering a GFC V2 Camper for my Gladiator. I’ve currently got a Roam Vagabond mounted on a custom rack over a softopper. It’s been an OK solution- but the rack made access to the side of the softopper difficult. And the RTT is a pain to load on and off the rack.
Initially I was shopping for the RSI or RLD camper shells. They solve bed access, but not the hassle of installing the RTT. Plus, they are both pushing $4k by the time you option them- and lead times aren’t much better than GFC.
So that’s how I ended up looking at the the GFC. If I sell my current setup, I’ll be in it the same amount (or potentially less) than spending $4k on a camper shell. The GFC solves side access to the truck bed and means I don’t have to wrestle with getting the RTT on and off.
Which brings me to my two primary issues:

1. We are a family of 3- 7 year old son. I camped 12 nights this year (hoping for more in 2022!) my son camped with me 4 and my wife 2. We are not going to realistically all fit in the GFC. I can’t decide if I would just bring my ground tent and let my wife and son sleep in the GFC, or If I can make him a platform to sleep below? Will he want to be in his own tent with is friends soon anyway? I’m telling myself that if it’s a 2 night a year problem, I’ll figure it out…

2. Getting it to back to Alabama. Realistically it’s 3 days out and 3 back without even enjoying the places I’ll be traveling through. I can’t stomach a $1-2k add for shipping on top of a $8k purchase. Seems like someone could make a decent living just running campers East but I haven’t seen any options. I’ve considered renting a UHaul and trying to bring some other campers back with me, or flying out, renting a Gladiator and swapping the camper out when I get back to shorten the trip…

I’ve watched every YouTube video I can find. I’m pretty obsessed. And the end of year price increase has me super anxious to pull the trigger.
Do y’all have any advice?
Are my concerns unwarranted?
Anyone have a camper coming back to the southeast that wants to split the delivery cost?

I have a V1 camper mounted on a 2020 Gladiator. I traveled to MT January 2021 for installation. I have also not camped as much as I planned. A trip out west, from NC, was canceled due to Covid-related work responsibilities. For me, at this time, the GFC is the best compromise. I need a truck bed and prefer to keep the tailgate. The GFC gives me an easy camp set up, but does not take away from the utility of the bed. In the bed, I have a DIY platform with a Land Shark 20x40 drawer and fridge slide installed. I can remove it all in 30 minutes. Usually, there is just 2 of us camping, but many have created sleeping in the bed for kids. Goose Gear was supposed to present a set up for the GFC in a Gladiator, but have not yet. Some of their other layouts may fit, but are specified for Alucab and other campers. They do have a sleeping platform option for the bed. The GFC is what it is, it is intended for minimalism and that meets my current needs. Of course, now my wife is talking about more comfort as we age, so should some reasonable slide in camper present itself, we might make a change.

2 Likes

If you keep your eyes peeled, you may be able to find a used one, possible much closer than Montana, but I don’t know that a ton of Gladiator GFCs are out there… so most likely your only option is new.

I think you could build a platform below and comfortably sleep your family of 3.

I thought about buying a soft topper and rack and mount my RTT on top of that, but I’m so glad I went the GFC route- it is a much cleaner design and it’s much more functional… being able to stand up really opens up the space- even though it is small and have a minimalist feel.

3 Likes

I echo what has been said already. if you can sell what you have now to cover part of the cost of a GFC it’ is a nobrainer for me.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat… I have a taco that I’ve got a bed rack with a Superlite on it. I’ve spent about 60 nights in it so far and I love it but like you I want a topper. At the price for putting one on like a RSI I’m pretty close to justifying the GFC. The price increase has me thinking I need to make the decision soon.

1 Like

Where did they announce a price increase?

Mostly on their social media accounts. $750 increase coming at the beginning of next year!

1 Like

If you want a bare bones topper/camper with a RTT, the GFC is perfect. The fact that it’s bare bones is why I went with GFC. I didn’t do any build-out and the camper interior is basically empty. I use it as a truck as well as a camper. I have been very happy with it. It goes to baja, fishing, anywhere I camp. Then the other 95% of the time, it’s a truck with a topper. If that’s what you want, the GFC would accommodate nicely IMHO.

Peace.

6 Likes

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I’m pretty sold on the camper. Just wish they’d open a 2nd location east of the Mississippi River :joy:

2 Likes

I bought a GFC for the options of using it as work truck canopy where I can grab tools from all sides. Great option to have for my line of work. However primarily we wanted it to get out and camp wherever we parked. BLM land, campgrounds or wherever we could in a pinch. I think the drive for you would be worth it. I’ve done that drive many times before. It gets more interesting when you get past the dakotas. Then it’s pure bliss!

2 Likes

I’ve got one on my 2021 gladiator and I’ve had people tell me they love it at stop lights. It’s nice to have the topper for sure and the weight can’t be beat if you line to off-road at all. Get the kiddo a hammock to sleep in. Also the price point isn’t bad if you’re reallly looking at all this. Look how much a fiberglass topper would be without a nice bed and sides that open.

1 Like

I can’t help with the travel part, but I have a 1st gen Tacoma with a GFC with a drawer built on the right side of the bed that can double as a sleeping platform. I end up napping on it all the time, or a sleep on it if I’m in a parking lot or somewhere I don’t want to put the tent up. My dog sleeps down in the bed when I’m up in the tent. He’s pretty big, 85lbs.
I also used to have a pvc frame half platform that was super easy to take in and out so I could use the whole bed and then just throw that in there if I needed an extra sleeping spot.

As far as the topper part of it goes, I love it. It’s much better than the softopper I used to have in terms of bed access. When I bought the GFC I thought it was cool that all the sides opened but now I don’t think I could live without it. It’s sooo much easier than crawling around in a topper trying to get stuff from the front of the bed.

3 Likes

This is the best part of owning a gfc. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Question for gladiator owners:
Do you miss the ‘jeep’ aspect of the truck once you install the GFC?

I’m not worried about not being able to take the full hardtop off. I rarely take the back section off. But I do run (and love) a Sunrider. I’ve read that they aren’t compatible with the GFC. Just too much wind noise. In the south it’s too hot most of the time to sit in the full sun, so doors off is my preference anyway. Just wanted some opinions/ feedback on if you have any regrets about losing the modular nature of the jeep.

Sunrider works, at least with the V1 camper. If wind noise bothers you, you probably are not suited for Jeeps anyway. LOL. The SR top noise is not bad with the camper and I drive highways everyday to work. The SR is the best mod to the truck. Fortunately, I have an LJ for the whole top off experience.

1 Like