JE Designs Trailer Build

This is definitely off topic but wanted to share as some people seem interested in projects too. I have no interest in building out the GFC as I need it as a truck almost daily, but I do like camping in the winter and shoulder seasons more than summer, and with the 2 year old we (my partner actually) decided that we needed more comfort.

I’ll start by saying I am in no way a RV guy, but I looked around for a used RV but the prices are stupid high and none of them were what I wanted. I decided I could just build one for way less money and have what I want. I wanted something fairly off-road capable, that was well insulated. After 6 months of working on it nights and weekends it is mostly done and we are using it.

Here is the general design I did to get a rough idea of things:

Then I bought a cheap trailer to build off of. This ended up being a huge mistake as I only ended up saving the main frame spars and the rest was replaced.

I ended up removing the old axles and replacing with some Timbrens. I built the exoskeleton out of 3/16" angle and flatbar.

The panels are made of 1/4" poplar, 2" foam, and .060 aluminum glued together with construction adhesive. They are all mitered together and are held into the frame with adhesive. This made it so there is zero thermal bridging in the entire camper.

All the interior was framed out using 1" square tubing and the plywood is held in with 1/4-20 bolts into nutserts. Made for a super light weight interior.

The electrical system is handled by a Goal Zero. One of my goals is for everything to be easily removed so I can switch it back and forth between the GFC and trailer when needed. With 4 led lights, a Dometic fridge and a fan it lasts 24hrs on a Yeti 500X which is plenty as I never stay in one spot more than a night.

The water system is equally simple. I have fresh and grey water tanks using Dometic Go tanks and their simple rechargeable magnetic faucet.

Here is the finished interior.

On its maiden voyage. The family slept in the camper and grandma used the GFC which worked great.

Still have some work to do like install the heater and some odds and ends, but am overall happy with how it all came out.

43 Likes

Sweet. Is this the JE X-T1?

Ha good eye. Yup X for prototype, T for trailer. Mostly just wanted to use the cnc :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Freakin sweet build.

sooo… the GFC can now be called an in-law suite

4 Likes

Skills! Trailer looks awesome

1 Like

@blackhearse Exactly!

1 Like

Dang, that’s an impressive build. Love the modularity of the internals for easy swapping out of components.

1 Like

Thanks @weightshift !

That thing looks mint, and plenty of flexibility to add and subtract as you need.

1 Like

Nice little trailer. How much does it weigh and what type of hitch are you using?

1 Like

Master craftwork right there!!

1 Like

This is badass! Man of many talents for sure!

1 Like

Thanks guys! @stickyTaco it weighs 3250 and I just have a standard ball hitch on it for now.

3 Likes

This might seem like a mistake, but at the same time you have a DOT-approved trailer, and that’s an important box to check. If you’d built from scratch, then you would’ve had to get it inspected and approved, but since you’re just modifying one that already was inspected and approved, then you should be good (unless your local jurisdiction has some special rules). I suppose you could have tried to buy a bare frame with some of the other modifications already done, depending on cost and availability. Either way, it seems like it turned out well in the end. Nice job!

1 Like

If you ever replace the hitch, the Cruisemaster hitch performs well off road and it is quiet.

3 Likes

How long is the trailer ? And what size bed did you use ?

It is 16 feet long and has a king size bed.

1 Like