Kinsmen Hardware still around?

You have a good point. Just ordered the Kinsmen… now I can pray for impatient people so my build date gets moved up. :rofl:

I can’t speak for @Medicfung but I liked the Kinsmen better out of the gate. I liked the idea of a stand alone that didn’t need poles and guy lines that I would eventually trip over or clothes line myself (haha - who is going to save the medic?). I read about the concerns with the weight, so started looking at Alucab. As I digest, I realize most of these campers are going on smaller trucks where the extra weight is probably more of a concern… I’ve got a 2500 full size truck so decided what with only about a $500 price difference at that price point, I might as well bite the bullet and get what I was leaning towards in the first place. :woman_shrugging:

I don’t get my GFC until late July, so will only have a short wait time after that for the Kinsmen. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My personal opinion is the kinsmen is built more sturdy as a leg less awning. Just looking at the arms that span across, they’re ladder style. the cloth material is superior, auto lock open, holes on each arm for legs if you so desire, edges have brass eyelets and taped for guy lines.
And made in USA, which counts for some of us

4 Likes

I just got mine a few days ago and going to install it today - will update once I have the tent mounted again.

2 Likes

This is amazing news! Hoping mine will be done soon too. What build number kinsmen were you?

Order #181. It came in on May17th, and ordered November 1st.

1 Like

Thank you! I ordered the same day, #184! Ok, this is even better news since I haven’t received any word since the last email with the spreadsheet. Did you get a shipping notice or did it just show up randomly one day?

I got a shipping notice on May 13th. I live relatively close, so it was only a few days until it arrived. I’d bet you receive the email next week :grinning:

1 Like

You probably have some idea of how excited i am, living in so cal with a camper and no shade is a massive fail

Totally understand. I’m in Florida, with lots of overland trips/beach days coming up for the summer…it’s almost a necessity to have one.

I ordered back in February expecting the 3 month lead time, I guess I still have a few more months to go 🥲

That’s what my wife said to me… you spend all this money and your worries about that now?. I own a shadow awning and it was ripped off my at overland awning brackets. Awning was fine… since then I won’t hang it without a rear hinge bracket cause it needs it on high winds.

I don’t think they have a good handle on the lead times due to what’s already been mentioned above. I ordered mine in late November and am still waiting. I’d like to stay optimistic about it getting here soon but who knows

1 Like

Well, I finally got my shipping notice! I was one of the first to order back in November, based on my order number and the spread sheet we get via email.
Next Friday is my day, so stoked! Summer time with my own shade in southern California sun!

4 Likes

Shipping notice from kinsmen this am, my awning arrives this Friday! I can’t express how excited I am to be finally getting this. Summer is here in so cal and it’s freaking hot before 10am, so having your own shade is vital for extended chill sessions next to your rig

4 Likes

I just put an order in, The wait begins!

4 Likes

Received mine today after 7 months, order #188. Stoked to get it put on now

1 Like

And we have a nice awning bracket specifically designed to mount the Alu-Cab Shadow 270 to a GFC V2. Check it out: Products - 4WD-Mod.com.

Agreed that the Kinsmen is a sturdier product, however with all that extra sturdiness you get more weight, more cost, and longer lead times.

Radio silence since June 16th…. Ugh. I realize and understand they have a new addition to the family, but getting updates is appreciated and doesn’t take that long. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like