Ladder Alternative

My purpose for this idea stemmed from my desire to be able to have exterior access without needing a ladder (storing them take up a ton of space, when this is packed down, including the detachable shoe bag, it is 12"x4"x4"), also the ability to open the side panels while in camp without having to move a ladder. You can open the side panel while this is connected without having to move or adjust anything, just open the side panel like normal.

This works by clipping into two eye straps (the third eye strap in the photo is the anchor for my awning) and then hangs just above the bottom of the side panel. You stand on your rear wheel, step onto the wood and then into the tent.

So far the wood has not done any damage to the panel finish, you can also add fabric or rubber if you want more protection.

The wood step is positioned so that the lower rail of the frame is supporting the side panel. I have not had any flexing or other signs of damage/failure in a year of testing.

The fabric bag is optional. It is made out of a waterproof canvas and gives me a weather protected place for my shoes other than in the tent.

This is on a 3rd gen tacoma on 33’s with 2" of lift. On level ground my partner (she’s 5’4") has no problem, however, if you are using your suspension to help level, and/or have to place blocks under the rear wheels it becomes a bit of a stretch for her to reach the handle in its current location and step up on to the wheel.

If you’ve got any questions give a shout.

Parts List (ensure size compatibility and strength rating of all parts as I am going from memory)

3/4" ply at 2 1/2" x 10"
2 Clips
Vinyl Coated Cable - Length determined by placement on camper
8 Cable Clips (2 per end if you only use one per end there is not enough clamping force) If you have access to a swager you can make this connection a lot more clean. This was a proof of concept and I didn’t have one.
2 Eye Straps
2 Eye Bolts
4 Washers
4 - 1/4 - 20 T nuts (use a washer to act as a spacer between the t nut and the eye strap)
Handle is from @Eisenheim (3dprotolab on IG)

The bag is made from waterproof canvas and two grommets. (Not necessary, but nice to have a spot for shoes)

3 Likes

Rad!

I’m trying to figure out a similar way to add steps to my rear tire carrier, I like to see these Out of the Box ideas!

1 Like

nice!
thought about something like that, only my overweight self would probably break the thing on first try LOL

1 Like

It can be engineered to be stronger, and as it is I’d say it would do 300 lbs. I wouldn’t stress about it.

This looks extremely inconvenient compared to the collapsible ladder lol.

I mean it’s cool but saying this saves space that the collapsible ladder uses, is a little extreme seeing how the ladder takes up no space at all haha.

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback. This fits under my passenger seat along with my tire plug kit, pretty sure a ladder doesn’t fit under a seat. Also, I don’t have to move a ladder if I want to access the panel behind it.

1 Like

This is one of those engineering insights that is elegantly simple and serves a real purpose. It incorporates the use of one step and the rear tire and you are out [or in]. This calls on youth, agility, and our primate nature to succeed. But for people who are old, fat, etc. you could win the Darwin Awards if you mess up!

Why does this half read as a bot comment?
:joy:

Awesome idea! Way better than the space a ladder takes up.